Opinions on why this system is uninvolving

I have just upgraded my system in a number of ways from Snell Type A/IIs to Revel Studios; from Audible Illusions Modulus 2 to Hovland HP-1; and from the earliest EADs to Metronome Technology DAC and transport. I find the system uninvolving much of the time. I also find it lacking in dimensionality, find it sometimes hard sounding and I notice image wander. Here's the whole system:

Revel Studios
Hovland HP-1
MFA 200C mono amps
Metronome DAC and Transport
Shunyata Hydra on amps
Power Wedge I on other components
Various high end cords incl. Top Gun, Shunyata Mamba and EMI whales
Tara Prime (or perhaps 1800) speaker cables (bi-wiring)
Audioquest Ruby interconnects between amps and pre amp (about 30-foot run)
Hovland interconnct between DAC and preamp
Siecor optical AT&T between DAC and transport

Any thoughts on how to arrest these problems would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about trying solid state amps like the Pass 250 or 350, the McCormack DNA line, Proceed or Rowland, but I'm not really sure that will make a sginficiant difference. I know it could change the sound signficantly, but not necessrily for the better (which I realize is completely subjective anyway).
znak_m

Showing 4 responses by kana813

Sounds like the Revels might not be broken in yet.

Having owned MFA 200s, you should check the front
tubes if they haven't been serviced in a few years.

Don't know how good the Hovland is at pushing that long
cable run. Have you tried a shorter run?

Aloha.
Znak m- Your MFA 200 uses octal base front end tubes 6SL7 or the mil spec version 5691, if I remember correctly. If
you've never replaced these tubes, you should try some new ones. They last longer than the output tubes, but they do
wear out.

As I posted above, not all tube preamps can drive long
cable runs. The Hovland's high output impedance of 2500 ohms can cause interactions with long cable runs, unless
it sees a high input impedance on the amps. Their amp's
input impedance is 680K ohms.

I'm not suggesting you replace your 30' cable run with another brand of cable, just try a shorter run between the
preamp/amp and see want happens.

If you need help with the MFAs, suggest you contact Scott
Frankland.
I really get a kick out of you folks that think changing
around some power cords will solve Znak_m's issues with
his already excellent system.

No amount of money spent on some fancy power cords can make up for a system mismatch between a preamp and power amp.

Znak_m, the Revels are great speakers, please seek out
my friend Scott Frankland and discuss the the interface
of your new Hovland to the M200s.

Aloha.

Maui Dan
Bwhite - if the EAD T-7000 & Audiomeca DAC are so good, why don't you use them in your system?

Do they need $3K power cords to sound good?