Opinions on the SimAudio Moon 260D CD player/transport?

Yes, yes, I still use CDs! I have been using an Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP player for many years, and have been very happy with it. It has, however, begun to show some signs of its age, and there is a mint, supposedly lightly used Moon Neo 260D available locally (no DAC; just the transport).

I would be using it with my Hegel H160 and Harbeth 30.1

If anyone has any opinions on that machine, and especially in comparison to the EMC-1UP, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Tony
whipsaw

Showing 4 responses by zavato

I own a Neo 260D transport/DAC. I use it primarily as a transport, connected to an external DAC. I have listened to the Neo 260D using its internal DAC as well- for CDs and high res downloads from a server.

The Neo 260D is excellent all around- as a transport, as an integrated player and solely as a DAC. It performs at a very high level. 
Most welcome! When shopping for a CD player perhaps 8 or more years ago, I was interested in something that had a tonal balance close to my vinyl experience. There were a few that came close. 2 were from Europe and I did not have faith that the companies would be around for the long haul. The other was Simaudio. The Neo 260D is my 2nd Sim CD player. I previously had the original 260, and I am certain the Neo is a better machine. I’ve had mine now I think for about 5 years- very pleased and zero interest in changing it. 
@whipsaw 

$1000 is a great price- enjoy!

the standard factory remote is an inexpensive plastic job, but it works beautifully. Sim has a much prettier remote available, that does exactly the same as the plastic remote, but it's not cheap. I have not bought the prettier remote- I prefer to put $ into things that make a difference to how things sound! 
@whipsaw

Yes- re coaxial- the problem with the S/PDIF is that it’s a 75 ohm connection and there really isn’t any true 75 ohm coaxial cable that uses RCA terminations. That’s why I use an AES cable, which in fact can be a true 110 ohm termination, and that matches the spec of the AES termination itself. Some will argue that impedance mismatch isn’t that big a deal, but I figure if I can avoid a mismatch, that’s the way to go. BTW, a BNC cable can be a true 75 ohm cable.

So, my thought is- 1- use a quality cable; 2- termination is important; 3- avoid impedance mismatch.