Opinions on Reference LP Digitization System ...

I'm considering my options for digitizing my LP collection, and, after doing a bit of research, came up with the following list of components (with current retail prices, noted). Computer itself not included in list. This is all hypothetical.

I'd be aiming for 'reference' but not 'money doesn't matter at all'.

Maybe, rather than choosing/commenting on what *you* would personally choose, think of the following: imagine 100 audiophiles are in a room, including you - what set-up would have the highest average score?

In terms of cartridge, do you think pure neutrality would win out on average (and if so, what cartridge would you suggest) or slightly sweeter/warmer (and again, if so, what cartridge)? Other cartridge thoughts?

Feel free to pick apart the list, but if you substitute something more expensive, that means having to sacrifice elsewhere (the hypothetical list below totals approx. $42,000, so think of approx. $45,000 as your budget, buying new (not from Audiogon)).

Many thanks in advance for any comments received.

VPI HR-X TT + JMW 12.7 tonearm + Valhalla wiring ($15,000)
Air Tight PC-1 Supreme cartridge ($9,000)
Kimber Kable PK14 Palladian power cord for TT ($1,300)
Ginko Cloud 11 (medium) isolation platform for TT ($600)
Ginko dustcover for TT ($400)
Channel D Seta L (rechargeable battery) phonopreamp ($4,100)
Kimber Kable Orchid (preamp-aesb digital connect) ($700)
Lynx AES16 soundcard ($700)
Shunyata Cyclops power conditioner ($2,000)
Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3 shelf stand ($2,900)
VPI Typhoon record cleaner ($2,700)
Furutech DeMag LP demagnetizer ($2,700)
Aesthetix ABCD-1 cartridge demagnetizer ($200)
herschelr
For that high a budget I'd definitely want to put more money into the AD conversion aspect. That is where it's at if you ask me. I recorded LPs for years and the improvements a wadia 17 AD converter brought was significant. I'm sure there are other great AD converters out there.
Many thanks for responses so far.

My 'list' was formed partly after reading the Stereophile article on PureVinyl software, where MF notes: "Whether you use your own phono preamplifier or one of the Setas to rip LPs, you're also going to need a good 24-bit/192kHz-capable soundcard—or, if you're using a laptop, a good outboard A/D converter" which suggested to me (since I have a desktop) that Seta preamp + soundcard = all I need. It seems (maybe I'm wrong) that this is perhaps a typo, and that yes, I'd need to include the A/D converter between the pre-amp and soundcard.

Initial thought just with a quick look on the Net is the Forssell MADC-2 ($3,000).

C.
While I have no directly relevant experience, my strong instinct would be to use an approach that does not involve having a computer (which of course is a potent generator of RFI and digital noise) either directly connected to, or physically close to, the system you would be using for analog playback and digitization.

I would suggest that you consider recording the output of the A/D converter onto a professional recorder that records onto flash memory cards. Or possibly even using the A/D converter that is typically built into those recorders. A very well regarded although perhaps slightly dated example is the Sound Devices 702, which includes an apparently excellent built-in 24/192 A/D.

Subsequent to digitization and capture of the digital file, you would transfer the file to the computer either via a firewire connection between the recorder and the computer, or by removing the flash memory card from the recorder and inserting it into an inexpensive card reader having a USB interface.

Another point to consider is that if you do any necessary monitoring during LP playback using headphones, the vibration immunity of the turntable and its supporting structure become much less critical than if you were listening to the LP's via speakers, assuming, for example, that you don't live directly above a subway line :-). Taking that into account in selecting a turntable setup could result in a savings of many $thousands without sonic compromise, it seems to me.

Regards,
-- Al
Ejlif and Al - those are insightful comments - thanks.

My investigations leading to the Forssell A/D were directly related to your point, Ejlif.

Al, we were thinking the same thing at about the same time - the 'light bulb' went off for me thinking (what will the a/d feed) 'why a computer?', and those thoughts led me to the Tascam DV-RA1000HD ($1,500).

Further, Al, you've opened up my thoughts to the issue of vibration control and the need for it/extent needed if there's no playback in the system - that is, no loudspeakers creating any vibration - just the components in the system itself/ambient vibration.

Thanks.

C.

C.