Opinions on Bluesound vs Sonos.

I'm heavily invested in Sonos products including the Sonos Amp. Their software/apps continue to be a nightmare. Recent app upgrade makes it so Qobuz playlists are not available. Last straw. Time to ditch Sonos.

Looking at Bluesound.

I have lots of questions.

1.How does their Powernode compare with the Sonos Amp? My Amp is driving a pair of Aerial Acoustics 6T towers and does a surprisingly good job. Anyone have experience with the Powernode driving fairly high end speakers? The Powernode is rated at 80w into 8 ohms. It does not say what the rating is for 4 ohms which the 6Ts are or even if it is intended to drive 4 ohm speakers.

2. Do I have to used Bluesound wireless speakers the same way you have to use Sonos wireless speakers to use the Sonos app/system?

3. How does the quality of the Bluesound wireless speakers compare to comparably priced Sonos wireless speakers? I am perfectly happy with the SQ of the Sonos speakers for casual listening.

Thanks for any advice or tips for making this transition which I fully expect to be painful and expensive.

n80

I have an extensive Sonos system that I use for casual listening using ROON as a front end. Works well for me, but would be a bit of a learning curve.

I don’t have any experience with Sonos. I did use the Bluesound Node and Vault for years but I moved on because ultimately my units kept getting hung up during the very frequent Bluesound updates.

What is your actual budget? I get that you want to save space but I strongly recommend separates. If a software update winds up bricking your streamer, then at least you have a useable amp. I believe you have already had that experience.

Get a small integrated Class D Amp that will drive your speakers nd get a small streamer, either the Node or from once you determine your budget

@mahler123 That does not sound encouraging about the Bluesound updates. That is one of the primary issues with Sonos!

I do plan on getting a separate amp with the Node if I go with Bluesound.

Would love to know if Bluesound is any better than Sonos in terms of reliable function.

I'm not sure about budget yet. I'd have to gauge what I can get from selling the Sonos gear.

My dealer is a Bluesound rep and he denies seeing any issues such as I described.  It’s been about 5 years since I owned Bluesound and perhaps they have their product improved, but having had about $1500 lost to this issue I won’t be going there again.

I have 2 Cambridge Audio CXN streamers that have worked flawlessly.  They have just upgraded their DAC and the app is very good.  Pair it with a small but potent integrated Class D amp and you would be set.