Opinion: Modern country is the worst musical genre of all time

I seriously can’t think of anything worse. I grew up listening to country music in the late 80s and early 90s, and a lot of that was pretty bad. But this new stuff, yikes.

Who sees some pretty boy on a stage with a badly exaggerated generic southern accent and a 600 dollar denim jacket shoehorning the words “ice cold beer” into every third line of a song and says “Ooh I like this, this music is for me!”

I would literally rather listen to anything else.Seriously, there’s nothing I can think of, at least not in my lifetime or the hundred or so years of recorded music I own, that seems worse.

bhagal

@pwoodard922 My wife and I saw Erich Church, then 2 days later Dave Matthews in Tahoe last summer, same venue, Harvey's.

Erich Church: Sound was really good, clear, not too loud. I saw multiple guys doing mobile sound checks all over the place.

The concert rocked from start to finish, the people were awesome - vibe was super upbeat, polite, friendly, safe. No one wasn't dancing. We had a blast.

Dave Matthew: The SQ was terrible. Too loud, too much distortion. He took way to much time between songs, so each song was a restart in terms of keeping the audience's attention. The vibe wasn't as fun and I'll leave it at that. 

We went in expecting Dave to be better / more fun than Eric. 

Just sayin'

Never owned a pickup, maybe that is why I never developed a taste for old country? I don't hate rap even though I am between 50 and 70. I like new country. It sounds like old soft rock with some twang added. Never felt a need to jump on the net and tell everyone what I don't like, except politicians. Man of Constant Sorrow (Union Station band) is Folk/Bluegrass fusion, as distinct from old country as new country is.