Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

@moonwatcher   You dont like wood veneered MDF, this is most popular main stream cabinets design. What you like  -pure wood ?

Check out Clayton Shaw's Caladan OB speakers. All the nice things said of a very good speaker. Sorry, I am not good with words but listen to what the buyers said of their Caladans.

I have a pair of DIY 8" OB from the Decware site. VERY happy with them. I like them because of their efficiency and no xover - so very simple. The signal goes from my TT to pre-amp to amp to driver. cabinet is MDF and front is 2 x 3/4" maple.

I have about 100 hours on the Caladans. I hear refined  and tight bass pluckings of bass guitars I never heard of (listening to the same song for years).