Once again...looking for a "tube like" SS preamp

Hi

I am looking for a solid state preamp that has the fatigue free sonic signature of a tube preamp. For reasons that will completely bore everyone out there, my setup makes it difficult to get a tube preamp like the Aesthetix or VTL which I absolutely love.

Source is a Bryston BDA-1 DAC. Amplification is Jeff Rowland 501 mono blocks. Speakers are Tannoy Kensingtons. I am considering between the Bryston BP26 (matches the source) and Jeff Rowland Capri (matches the source). I would love to hear from people who have had experience with either of these two models on how the sound compares with tube gear. Also, should I be considering any other models in the $5k +/- range that would fit best what I am looking for?

Thanks.
lp_newbie
Orpheus10 has a point. As a group we cannot agree on what is tube like sound, hence we get a huge range of choices for solid state that sound like tubes. There's inexpensive tubes, vintage tubes, modern tubes and modern/expensive tube sounds. They all sound different. The OP doesn't tell us why he can't use a tube pre and is considering going with a Bryston as a substitute. Go figure!

In all honesty Tubegroover, I have owned and still own 3 tube pre's. The first was a PV-10 in the mid 80's. My next pre was an Audible Illusions in 92. We moved in 99 and I failed to take the tubes out of the pre's; that's a "no no", movers and tubes do not mix, the tubes had to be replaced.

A few years ago I bought a PV-12 on the Gon with NOS tubes already in it, and I love it. All of my pre's have NOS tubes and they sound fine. The last time I bought tubes was over 10 years ago, all NOS from Brent Jesse.

When I got into the "high end", there were quite a few emporiums and you could audition most of the equipment you read about in "Stereophile". I spent so much time in those places, that when I got home late one evening, my wife asked me "What's her name?". There is never a good answer to that question. While the places I went to had Adcom, Rotel and a few other SS names, their most expensive and best was tube CJ and ARC. When your ears witness what happens when you replace CJ or ARC with Adcom or Rotel, they will never forget the effervescent sound of tubes. I have never had any of the hassles you mentioned with tubes. Have you experienced this or is it a perception?

As a music lover, life is too short to deprive yourself of a music lovers greatest pleasure, "an eargasm!" There are SS lovers who get "eargasms", but it's because they like a different type of sound and music, that's why we have the both of them.

All

Thank you very much for your responses. Orpheus10 - since you insisted on being bored, this is what I am trying to do. I currently have an Aesthetix Calypso Signature preamp with NOS Mullards. While I absolutely love the sound, I am looking for something that is relative hassle free in terms of warm up time, tube matching etc. My idea is to ADD a SS preamp in the system and run the tube preamp through it in a bypass mode. That way, I can use the SS for casual listening and switch to tubes only when playing records. Now, I know that running the tube preamp this way will result in a bit of a sonic degradation. I am willing to live with the compromise and did not want well meaning a'goners to sidetrack the thread from my main question.

Now, in hindsight, I asked a pretty dumb question. No SS can sound like tubes and no tubes can sound like SS. In addition, "tube like" means different things to different folks. After all, not all tube preamps sound the same either. Onhway61 - your point on the bryston is well taken. I had the chance to listen to it briefly yesterday and while we may disagree on what makes a tube sound - it is pretty clear that the bryston is quite far from it.

So, let me ask my question differently. What SS premp under $5k would you recommend for faitgue free musical sound? In your experience, would either the Capri or the Bryston BP26 fit this criteria?

Many thanks.
I have owned two that fit your needs very nicely.

- Tom Evans Vibe with Pulse power supply is fantastic and exactly what you are looking for.
- Bel Canto Pre 3 can be had for only $1000 used and is also very, very good and fits your needs. It surpasses the Rowland Capri in every possible way also.
Oh ah, nevermind newbie!:)

and Orpheus, have you checked out your tubes lately? You might be missing something that you don't even realize. With all that tube gear, if you don't have one, invest a couple hundred in a tester. No I haven't had any problems with tubes and I guess I assumed to much with LP newbie's response. I was painting an often repeated objection to tubes in this forum over the years, this one is a first for me.! Good luck newbie with your search.