Ok to substitute 12AX7 for 5751 tubes in CJ Amp?

Hi Folks.

Despite having owned my Conrad Johnson Premier 12 tube monoblocks for over 20 years, I'm just starting to play around with tube rolling recently.  (Previously, when a tube got tired I'd just replace them with whatever CJ recommended at the time).

Playing around with the input tubes:   The CJs come with 5751s (I've been using GE), and as I understand it 12AX7 tubes are higher gain.   However, are they not interchangeable in most cases?  Just don't want to screw anything up in my amp.

Thanks.

prof

Showing 2 responses by atmasphere

The 12BH7 is a sub for a 12AU7 not a 12AX7!

The 12BH7 also has double the filament current. Best to make sure the power transformer can handle it, especially if more than one tube is replaced in this manner.

@prof 

A 12AX7 is a poor substitute. The 12AT7 has similar amplification factor but vastly different plate resistance (much lower).

Whenever a tube circuit is designed, hopefully the circuit is optimized for the tube in mind. When you put something else in there that has different characteristics, distortion will be increased, gain will be affected (which will mess with the feedback) and bandwidth will be affected.

Because of its increased gain, its entirely possible that the amp might oscillate under certain conditions with a 12AX7 installed as a sub.

You're stuck with the 5751.