Ohm F-5015 used purchase

I have a neighbor looking to move and part ways with his Ohm F-5015 set.
They are powered with a SAE 2400L, along with a SAE P102, and T102 tuner.
He's including a Sansui SR-535 turntable and his vinyl record collection.
If I buy this combo, does anyone have any helpful opinions?
I believe he's asking a fair price but I'm very new to the Ohm name and just looking for a little advice.
Thanks!
128x128hifiwino
I’d love to see photos of others out there but I can’t find much online at all.
hifiwino,

Here is some info to consider.

I have a set of F-5015s on order now. They have an extreme excursion 15" subwoofer in the bottom of each one and either on-board Icepower subwoofer amplifiers or an off-board subwoofer amplifier.  From the pictures you posted, it looks like the set you located has an off-board Crown subwoofer amplifier.  That is the model that Ohm recommended to me if I went the off-board route.

They also come in two different housing styles.  The pictures you posted are of the version with the big upper grill.  There is another variant that has a smaller upper grill and wood housing piece between this and the lower wood housing.  The lower wood housing is the same in both variants.  The second picture in the following article shows this variant:   https://www.cnet.com/news/ohm-acoustics-speakers-sound-bigger-than-they-look/  

From a pricing perspective, Ohm takes trade-ins and uses these to discount their products.  For instance, brand new with birch housings and no trade-in, cost $11k for the pair.  If one sends in an old pair of Ohm F's and these are reworked, the cost is $6.6k for the pair and these would have the particle board housings of the old F's.  If one sends in an old pair of Ohm F's and trades these in for a new pair, there is a 25% discount on the new pair cost with birch housings which makes the price $8.25k for the pair.  I found a used no longer working pair of F's on Craigslist for $100 and spent about $250 in packaging and shipping costs to send these in from Michigan.  (Took about 1.5 years of spot-checking Craigslist to find a cheap set to turn in.) Thus, this should provide you with an understanding of the pricing.

You might want to look to see what type of housing material - birch wood or particle board is below the veneer so you know how the pair you have located is constructed.

Was told by John and Evan at Ohm that there isn't really a difference in sound between the housing constructions unless these are played at a really loud level where the birch ones sound better.  Was also told that the recent price increase on the reworked particle board housing ones was due to better materials that they are now using.  (This was the only increase in price of their whole lineup that I am aware of.)  Thus, the design has matured over time, perhaps since the version you have found.

Was also told that the beta designation will be leaving shortly and that the biggest issue that they are trying to still nail down is the shipping packaging because these are very heavy speakers.  It was also stated to me that the prices will go up when these are no longer beta products.  

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I do believe the wood enclosure under the can is painted plywood. The housing where the sub is I’m not sure. I believe the speakers and all the gear is worth the price, I also think he will come down. I either take this deal and upgraded electronics or I shop around for individual piece to build my own setup. Fun no matter what.
Hifiwino,

A few more thoughts for you. Ohm raised the price for the F-5015s reworked from old F housings from $6k to $6.6k per pair about 1/2 a year ago. Thus the pricing 5 years ago when the speakers that you found were manufactured was less than it is today, possibly even less than the $6k that it was 1/2 a year ago. This pricing would have included the subwoofer amplifier. I think that the easiest way to check to see if the speakers that you are being offered have been built from the particle board F housings is to look at the under side and see if the angled vertical pyramid shaped wood right under the veneer is particle board or not. The original F’s use 3/4 inch thick particle board and according to Ohm have had many internal reinforcements added to stiffen the housings when they are converted to F-5015s. The birch versions being made today use 1 inch thick birch.  What you saw from the top under the driver might be some of the added reinforcements and interface structure for supporting the driver and may not be an indicator if these were made from the particle board F's or not.