Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 7 responses by jackd

Even the Job 225 on which this amp is based does not like speakers that dip below 4 ohms. The problem is the speaker not the amp. Elac recommends amps with 140 wpc and 4 ohm stable.  That is the problem with these "marvel" Elac speakers and before them the Pioneers that Andrew created.  The speakers themselves are cheap but the amplifier requirements are not.  
Why are surprised as we are talking about a speaker with a stated efficiency of 85 db and impedance of 3.4 ohms and that is just stated not measured.  I am sure measurements by JA or Soundstage would find that both are overstated. The is the same as with the Pioneers and is a common characteristic of all recent Andrew Jones speakers. 
I had the Job 225 amp for several years and now have the Nuforce which is a scaled down version in my office system.  Neither amp is by nature fond of difficult loads.  They have both easily handled speakers easier to drive up to almost $20k with no issues but give them a difficult load like the Jones speakers and they bog down.  I suspect the Cambridge has a bigger power supply and transformer.  The main difference between the Nuforce/Job amps and the similar Goldmund Telos is the transformers and capacitors.  Those amps would have no issues.  And sure shutting it up in a cabinet probably didn't help either.
Well if you give the Nuforce the room it needs to breath hopefully it will hang in.  If you really like the Nuforce you might want to start looking for a more compatible speaker though. 
It doesn't make any difference as your perception of "imaging" is coming from the speakers.  If it makes you feel better then try it both vertical and horizontal and see if you hear any difference.  If you speakers don't need the extra muscle then don't bother.
I've never had it break 95 degrees on the heat sinks which by the way is about the same as the Class D amps I have owned.  The Job did not run hot either.