NOS KT 88s or GE 6550s

I am currently running a quad of Gold Lion KT 88s in my Conrad Johnson LPS 70 power amp. At considerable expense I can switch to NOS KT 88s or GE 6550s. Would this be a sideways move or a real improvement over the current production Gold Lions ? Would appreciate the advice/comments of CJ or ARC power amp owners who have made the switch. Unfortunately a demo in my system is not possible.
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Pradeep
128x128sunnyboy1956

Showing 2 responses by wolf_garcia

KT120s continue to rack up the cred...I stuck a set of them in a newer Jolida 502p that wasn't designed for them (I did check with Jolida and they insisted the extra heater burden was non issue) and stood back in case the amp was gonna explode...it hasn't and it's been many months. I'd like to try a set of GL kt88s (I like the way they look...lame but true) but somehow I can't justify pulling the 120s since they sound so good. Your results may vary of course, but I still have never heard of anybody's amp transformer melting from the extra juice demand of 120s...I think it's a myth, but what the hell do I know?
I've been told that the transformer would get into trouble sooner than later if the KT120s were incompatible somehow...but my informal research results remain: Happy KT120 users in the thousands, reported transformer deaths 0. It will be a sad day when all these overworked transformers give it up. I do like the Tung Sol 6550s that came with my amp and I swap 'em in when I'm bored or have a need to burn my fingers, and I also have a set of Sovtek KT88s that sound fine but lack the groovy gold lettering of the Gold Lions, so there's that. I understand the gold lettering makes them sound 13% better than otherwise.