Nobsound springs - load range

I want to try out the Nobsound springs as damping footers (mainly under my mono blocks and my streamer). I ordered a first set of them and now I wonder about the amount of springs to put in for different weights of equipment.I remember one post that said it works best when 50% compressed (was it @millercarbon?).

I measured the compression of the springs, it takes ~2.5 kg per spring to compress it to 50%. Based on 50% compression target, this yields the following sweet spot configurations (only stable ones, total equipment weight):
- 3 units, 3 springs each: 22.5 kg
- 4 units, 3 springs each (or 3 units, 4 springs each): 30 kg - 4 units, 4 springs each: 40 kg
- 3 units, 6 springs each: 45 kg
- 3 units, 7 springs each: 52.5 kg
- 4 units, 6 springs each: 60 kg
- 4 units, 7 springs each: 70 kgLoad can be considerably higher than expected (somewhere I read about 36kg, which is presumably for 4 units).

Any comments?What about ~10 kg streamer, seems to be too light to compress the springs enough? Does anyone have experience with Nobsound springs under light equipment like this?
Based on your experiences: Would you even dare to put an 80kg floor standing speaker on Nobsound springs?
hm9001

Tweak1 has nailed it. All the calculations are a waste of time. Even the bit about being compressed half way is just a guide or starting point. Another guide or starting point, the component should bounce very slowly, around 1 to 3 Hz. Just a guide. Only thing that really counts is the sound. There is no substitute for listening.

Most components have weight unevenly distributed. Springs don't have to be placed symmetrically. Don't have to be 4 per component, 3 might work better. Only one way to find out.

The main reason for all this trial and error tuning is Nobsound are not damped. Because of this they have a resonant frequency that changes with load. The same springs can give an extended top end, or big bottom end, or be tuned for a balanced sound. All just by changing the number of springs. Or adding weight. Mahgister does that, tunes his to within 1/4 pound.

Also the Nobsound design is more vertical isolation, with not much in other planes. That is the tradeoff for having terrific performance for cheap. 

Townshend improves on all this, with damping that improves performance as well as flexibility. Height adjusts by turning the top of the Pod. 

steakster, if you like piano on your system with springs, you should see the video where they put a piano on Pods! 

Millercarbon is right...

in my case for eaxample,because of the structure and particular resonance of the box speakers for example, the right amount of load damping must be fine tuned BY EARS, like the springs compressive force applied by the weight load on the springs themselves...

They are in my case then , an optimal weight load of concrete around 80 pounds over my speakers, which must be tuned BY EARS in an optimization process  in relation with the speakers densities and resonant geometry and  also in relation to the precise compressive force which could be optimally applied to damp the resonance of the speakers and not only isolate from the the external vibrations...

This fine tuning is an incremental process of listening experiments distributed on a week....I first fine tuned for  the  optimal load of  concrete for the speaker box without springs...

After that adding the springs under the speakers i ADDED some "light " load playing in an optimization process near around 20gram toward 100 grams...

Thanks for the ideas for dampening the Nobsound springs, this works great. The PTFE tape (wrapped around each spring) did not have much effect in my case (However, I tried it only on my DAC).

The dampening with the ear plugs however does magic, the effect for the money can hardly be beaten (I used the ones from 3M, 30 pairs for 10 EUR). It had similar effects on my mono blocks and on my DAC (a little less). The effect (compared to undampened Nobsound springs) is: Foremost, I get a blacker background, there is more air around instruments. Bass gets clearer and more structured, and soundstage gets deeper. In total, music gets more emotional.

I also tried another tweak: Since the springs did make some audible noise when you compress them (metal of the spring scratching against the bore in the aluminum block), I lubricated the bores with PTFE spray. This improved the Nobsounds quite a bit further.

In a thread *** Specifically *** to discuss  Nobsound Audio products the usual suspect starts **** Pedalling **** a competitors product 🙄

All the calculations are a waste of time.

I always get cautious when hearing such dogmatic statements. I would rather consider starting in the dark and doing erratic trial and error on all possible permutations of changes to different variables of a system a waste of time.

I prefer to have at least a basic understanding (or sometimes a hint or theory, e.g. 50% compression for the springs) of the variables and dependencies of a system and how they probably work. It is always good to derive a starting point and some hints/directions for experiments. This saves time in my opinion. And yes, the fine tuning and verification needs to be done by ear. The learnings should then be used to adapt the theory (maybe it's then 75% compression or even different compression for different components or something totally different). This can at least help others for their systems.

Only repeating statements like "the only way is by hearing" renders this forum useless.