Nice vintage $2k Turntable, cartridge, and phono stage

I currently have a current version Rega P3, I am looking to make a change. I have   been drawn recently to vintage turntables especially with wooden plinths. The looks of the turntable are important (maybe more than they should be).  I would like a good looking TT with a modern phono stage, used is fine, and a good quality cartridge. I’d be happy with a “good” not necessarily great sounding setup to go with my Simaudio integrated and KEF R5 speakers.

Anyone have any experience they can share? 

mcstin

Showing 5 responses by tomic601

@lewm yes i have heard Eclipse in 3 systems now…. it would turn a Sapphire in good working order into a formidable table.

Agree on Denon or any vintage table pricing…my local shop here in San Diego has a DP-1250,  Grace 707 arm and almost new Ortofon Bronze for ask of $950

to the OP - i am not a super big Linn fan for those new to TT as they require some key adjustments to get the most out of them, once tuned they are capable of great sound ( footfall skipping on bad old house floors is an issue )…

most SOTA from the 80’s will require a motor, sapphire thrust plate and likely all new springs ( ask me how i know )… but when refurbishment are an amazing TT if your not super pitch sensitive….

Donna at SOTA also sells refurbished units w or without upgrades

@lewm as stated a DP-75 ( new zeeland but with export transformer / internal switch for voltage / freq , plinth, black widow and an Ortofon OM-30 for $309 on ebay last December…. i did drive to Portland…. yes, it was a steal.

Peter charges $750 ish to go thru motor platter but this TT only needed the platter. i did send the other DP75 to him for both.

it can be done: in my photos / experience:

DP-75 w Infinity Black Widow $309 ( Ebay )

Black widow cleanup / rewire $200

PBN rebuild of DP-75 Split Platter $75

Grace F9E body $200

Soundsmith Ruby OCL stylus $400 ( usam low hour demo )

leaves u $ for a nice Phono and decent phono cable

iF you look at my system photos find Denon DP-75 tables both stock factory and custom plinth. While my reference table is a Brinkman the 75’s acquit themselves well. be aware most of the vintage DD tables out of Japan REQUIRE isolation.

Finally Peter at PBN audio in Alpine, California is an expert at service / upgrades to the Denon 75/80… Lyra use several of his DP-80 based TT… they ARE that good

best wishes on your quest