Newbie Question

I've just ordered my first stand-alone DAC to demo at home (COS D2) and would like to understand what hardware I'd need in order to move from a cdp source to a hard drive/server. There are many expensive 'servers' available but I've also come across the opinion that these are simply over-priced computers dressed up as audio jewelry. It's very confusing!  Having amassed a cd collection, I have no desire to ditch it in favor of streaming. So, it would seem I need a way to rip cds, store the files and then some kind of software to manage them. . . right? 
There are all in one pieces like the BlueSound Vault, that already include a dac. Could I still use such for ripping, file storage but bypass the internal DAC?  My system: Jolida JD100 cdp (keeping as a transport for the present), Wells Majestic integrated, Silverline SR 17.5 monitors. Could I get what I need for say, $1200 used? 
stuartk

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I use the Vault and bypass it’s DAC.  I also coincidentally have the OP Silverline Monitors.
  OP is correct that this can be accomplished using Computers only.  Network players are basically Computers whose OS is specialized for the functions required.
  I’ve done both the Mac&DAC route and the Network player—first the little Logitech Squeezebox, now Bluesound.  The advantages of using a network player is that it is a dedicated Audio component, not a Computer being made to function as an Audio Component.They run quieter and work better, but your mileage may vary