Newbie looking for system suggestions

Category: Amplifiers

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but I just got a Xmas bonus, and am looking to spend it on a hi-fi 2.1 channel system -- starting from scratch!!! If you had around $6-8 thousand to spend, how would you do it? It will be for a 20x 24 room, carpeted, with cathedral ceilings (15 ft high). I mostly listen to vocal jazz, blues, rock, but often get a classical hair and have some very good orchestra + piano recordings.

Again, sorry such a basic question -- I have been doing a lot of reading, but I am still completely overwhelmed and looking for some suggestions to audition!!

Steve
sshawmd
I personally wouldn't go mid-fi. You'll end up not really being satisfied. The Bryston equipment sounds extremely neutral. The 4B ST for around $1200-1300 used is extremely well-worth the $. Forget bookshelf spks. for the size of your room. You'll need floorstanders. Try to find a dealer whom will work w/you and let you audution as much equipment to see if it meets your tastes. If you buy used equipment, which are in demand, from reputable sellers, you should lose very little on resale and you will have the opportunity of trying equipment out and gaining knowledge.
Wow, not a bad "problem" to have! I'd ask Duane. I always ask Duane. Duane knows everything. So I ask him everything. And he's always right (except for once with a preamp--sorry about that one, Duane).
Sorry to break the news to you Kotta, but Bryston is Mid-Fi.

I also would start small at first. If later you decide that you're not satisfied with mid-fi, then fine. Easy to sell what you have and trade up to something better. You'll have lot's of money left over from the first purchase to get something better. Upgrading is what we all do.

A lot of people blow a ton of money on fancy gear and a year later never listen to it much. If in a year or two you're still listening, then yes go for it big time.
Go and listen to hi end gear. Simple as that. Then buy what sounds best to you. Do not buy expensive cable. The source is the most important part. Dont let people tell you speakers are the most important.
Amps try and hear Rogue, Speakers Coincident.
Sure I realize Bryston is Mid-fi (Upper mid-fi perhaps?) because it doesn't cost megabucks. Mapleleafs3 mentioned "Rogue." They make a new int. amp which is definately worth investigating. If you invest your budget wisely, you should have a very nice system. Audition as much equipment as posible. There are so many choices and ways to go. Decide on the spk. and then find the amp or int. amp best suited to drive that spk. Use good cabling. Besides sounding good, the equipment must blend in w/your surroundings and suit your tastes. Don't rush into anything, take your time and investigate. Good Luck! Happy Holidays to all!