New Version Jolida JD502P issues.

Anybody else have one of these? Why does mine (after some break-in) sound so good? What's wrong with me? Why doesn't everybody own one of these? These are nagging questions for which I have no answers...help me...besides, there aren't enough recent posts about these for my perusal needs.
wolf_garcia

Showing 6 responses by wolf_garcia

Swine thread invader! I had to look this (JD5T) up...yeah...Jolida preamps (and most of their other stuff, except the $9,000 Envoy thing) are too inexpensive to be truly cool, so you're gonna have to enjoy your new toy without the warm satisfaction and impending smirkathon (that's right...smirkathon) you can experience only by spending more money. Sad, but I'm right there with you...*sigh*...
One example is that it sounds great in comparison to some Conrad Johnson monoblocks another musician I know owns, and those are exactly 156 times the price of this thing. Not that it's "better" than anything in particular (although I suppose it is) but my point is more that the Jolida costs less than my cables and sounds great to me...and this is before the inevitable "endless rolling of the tubes" audio geek tradition that I shall now be sucked into. I "roll" guitar amp tubes but since you can't see them it doesn't count (they're in the back of the amp...usually). I used to live in Maine by the way. I'll be back!
The lawsuit between Jolida MD and Jolida China soldiers on but since I can TALK to the Jolida MD dudes (Michael Allen, et al), they get my support. They're designing the stuff. Also, this amp is the MD modded (a great deal) version as well as the most recent incarnation of the thing, and it's simply fun burning my fingers using the "easy bias" feature. A physically involving event after all. Try burning your fingers on a non tube amp...not that easy now is it?
Just stuck a set of KT150s in my nearly 3 year old "factory modded" 502p, and it sounds AMAZING...a great amp that has pretty much zero publicity other than from happy owners.
My main benefit from NOS 12AT7 Mullards in the "phase inverting" roll in my amp is the entertainment value of the start-up flash. And they supposedly last a long time while sounding great or at least not making anything sound not great. Recent 150s and new Russian Gold Lion "matched everything" 12AX7s have kicked the 502p up a notch or two, whether it needed it or not. Also I don't notice the amp being that much hotter with the 150s, although the heat is focused higher up due to the size of the damn things, but it seems normal and no fires have broken out...I just have to be even more careful not to burn my knuckles when tweaking the bias.