New user phono question. Comes with free story.

So once upon a time I saved a record player from the trash.  It don’t think it was anything special as those things go, but it was much beloved by me.  It was the first, and until recently, the only “system” I had ever heard that made me understand why people sit and spend hours just listening to music.. And did I ever put in the hours.  I was in school then, and time was a luxury I had.  That little record player spun so much that it eventually started spinning faster and faster until I couldn’t listen to it.  Without the knowhow to repair it, or the money to replace, it went into the trash with the intention to replace it.. Someday... Then came wife, then came kids.

Fast forward 15 years, and it occurred to me one morning that I had the time to listen to music again.  To me the choice of media was obvious.  I had fallen in love with vinyl, and it was time to rekindle the love afair.  That was about two months ago. It all started innocently enough, borrowing dusty components from be basements of friends and family to cobble something together that would reproduce sound. It was okay, but the first attempt didn’t come close to the sound I remembered.  From there I started shopping for better components and things spiraled out of hand rather quickly.

So far, I’ve bought an old Sony PS-X6 turntable with a Sure M95-ED cartridge, a Technics SU-V6 amp, and a set of Vaughn Triode speakers.  I wanted to encourage my kids to use the stereo too, so to make it more convenient, I decided to add a digital source.  That wound up being Amazon music, a Lavaudio blue-tooth adapter, and a Denifrips Ares II.  And this brings me to the problem.

The digital source sounds better, as in WAY better.  On digital, listening gives me that first date butterflies feeling every time, and I just want to turn it up, and up some more.  On vinyl there is just less, less of everything.  Now I am at a cross roads.  I have to decide weather to put more money into the vinyl or just abandon a few hundred pounds of records which I have recently discovered are all available in very nice quality digital anyway.  This finally brings me to the question.  Budget is a concern for me and I’m wondering if I have just fluked into some equipment that under-performs on records, or dollar for dollar, is it just harder to get performance from vinyl?  Do you think it would be realistic to get to the performance of the digital side of the system for say, a $1000 investment, or is that just a pipe dream?  I already have an integrated MC phono stage, so maybe I should try another cartridge?

If you’ve read this far. Thanks!

128x128justin572

Showing 10 responses by justin572

deeelbee,

I think we were posting at the same time.  Funny coincidence - I am also using RadioShack RCA cables.  For speaker cables though, I have an old 14ga extension cord that I cut up.  I suppose that's not really audiophile grade, but it is very nice non-recycled copper.  I'm not against spending some money cables, I just don't think it is wise to do so before I have the major components of my system sorted out.

For record cleaning, all I have is a brush. I started looking at spin cleaners, vacuums, and ultra-sonics a few weeks ago.  I became overwhelmed with the noise of the internet trying to sell me stuff and gave up on it.

Wow. That's a lot of very considered advice fast.  If digital really offers that much value, maybe I have to consider spending very judiciously on the vinyl and focus on getting the best out of one source.  I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet though, at least not without making sure the kit I have now is set up properly.

Dogberry, It is interesting that you mention checking the setup of the turntable first.  I didn't ask too many questions because I bought it from an old fella that was really more interested in telling stories than anything else, and I got a smokin' deal on it.  It would have felt rude to start grilling him over it.  On the way out the door he actually gave me a couple of EQs just because he had a stack of them and kinda had to thin them out.

Anyway, when I got home, I looked up the specs from sure and it is supposed to have about 1.25 grams of tracking force, but it was set at 2 grams.  I set it by the book.  I could try bumping the force back up, but I don't want to damage any vinyl. Would 2g of force have damaged the stylus?  I'll also check on the overhang and VTA.

Right now the sound is thin, lacking detail, and fatiguing.

Today I borrowed my brothers Rega RP1 turntable and did a quick A-B-C comparison using the best vinyl I own;  A remastered Japanese pressing of John Lenon and Yoko Ono - Double Fantasy that I bought new.

It didn't take long to figure out that the problem is with my Sony.  The Rega, while tremendously noisy at idle sounds very good.  I think it is every bit as good as digital, though it shines in different ways.  Flipping back and forth between the Rega and digital, in my opinion, was pleasant all around.  Each highlighted the strengths and weakness of the other.

Back on the subject of my old Sony, I noticed that the sound of the needle was barely audible while sitting next to it, while it was easy to hear the Rega from my listening spot, about 10' away.  On the amp, I ran the volume at about 9 o'clock with the Rega, and just past 12 with the Sony.

I think my next step should be to turn up the tracking force, but is there a rule of thumb to determine how to do it safely?

+

ghdprentice,

I took a look at your system, and it is very impressive. I would love to have a chance to listen to something like that.  Where I live, in New Brunswick Canada, there doesn't seem to be much interest in high-end sound systems.  I think the dog is a particularly nice addition.  I bet it really helps with room reflections, haha.

As to violent discussions about records and record accessories.  YEAH, I noticed eh!  I have been reading quite a bit and so far I have learned that everything is both the best and the worst, makes difference, but can also make or break your system, digital and analog are both the future, and tubes and solid state are also the best/worst thing ever.

I actually almost decided not to make a first post at all because of all the negativity, but I noticed that this forum seems to favor cordial discussion.  I'm very glad I did post, because every single response has been very helpful and encouraging.

That's a big investment, and certainly nothing I will ever come near.  The kids and I spent a few hours going through the collection last night, and discovered that we had quite a bit of unusual stuff.  I have some stuff from local and Newfoundland musicians that I will never find on digital.  Also, it's a great way to spend time with the kids.  Those reasons are enough to decide that the vinyl has to stay.  I'm not going to aim for a super-duper system, but just try to get it to a point where it is reasonably competent and enjoyable.

The best route, I would think, would be to get my Sony singing as well as possible.  The table however, seems to be drawing a bit of hate on here and I'm not exactly sure why.  It is a heavy built mid-fi table, that was at the top of Sony's middle tier products in the late 70s.  It gets glowing user reviews online.  Here is a link to the description: http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X6.html

I'm not looking to jump up and defend something that I know very little about.  I'm just trying to understand why the recommendations to throw it away and replace it with a newer - also mid-fi table.  I bought it because I reasoned that a good unit, built during the hayday of phono should still be good today.  Has the technology advanced so much?

Karl,

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head.  It seems obvious at this point that somesomething is up with the Sony. I need to spend some time and probably some money on fixing it up.

Earlier, someone commented that if I replace the cart, I souldn't bother with MC unless I'm ready to really spend some money. Are the cheaper MC cartriges going to be a disapointment?

I just wanted to thank everyone for your advice.  I have taken much of it to heart.  I did upgrade my digital source to USB, which has reduced the graininess of digital.

I have also ordered a better record cleaner.

I was on the brink of ordering a new cartridge, when a malfunction with the turntable became obvious. The turntable has an auto-play function, and the raising and lowering of the tone arm is controlled by a rest located near the pivot.  The rest has developed a problem where it lowers just exactly enough to allow the needle to touch the record, but the rest remains in contact with the tonearm.  If I push the rest down with my finger, the sound is much improved.

I still don't love the sound, but I think that is a matter of personal taste now.  This cartridge has quite a bit of emphasis on the high end, which I am not fond of.  I think I will keep it for a little while, but down the road I will look for something flatter and more detailed.

Thanks again to all for your help.