New streamer? N150 vs U2

So many people have asked this question and I’ve read all the threads. Has anyone actually directly compared the Aurender N150 to the Lumin U2 (or U1)? 

‘’I’m having a difficult time with an upgrade because I modified my BlueSound Node 2i, added a linear power supply and a new digital coaxial cable (Nordost Silver Shadow).  The results have been outstanding.  So why upgrade? Well, that is the big question.  Can a new streamer add that much more?

I would like full MQA if possible and upscaling to DSD.  My DAC does do MQA so I’m limited to the first unfold from the Node 2i.

‘Advice?

txp1

Showing 5 responses by wsrrsw

@txp1 Yeah Swiss Jazz.  I’m also about 70% in the Jazz class. 

Get the best you can afford and don’t think you’re missing out. The ultra gets a few more degrees of pow but your roon and synergy of what you put together is the gold ring. 

Any thing that makes you happy is cool. 

@txp1 You have to consider your room, speakers and all system parts too. 

Both are good streamers (if all the other stuff is dialed in) but wait ... there's more.

Unless yr. Bob Fosse, parts of digital streaming have robust ethernet cabling (you have), filtering, PSU, clock work (not orange) and all that jazz.

The the Aurender N150 will not work with ROON.

Will you use Roon? A lot have said no only to change that pronouncement. 

Like you I started with a BlueSound then upgraded (twice) and can tell the difference. I also had an Sbooster and upgraded from that (instant wow), Obviously it's not just the streamer as they like all the timings. 

@lalitk Sometimes I think the SQ usung the Roon shell isn’t quite on par with my native app and other times I can’t tell at all. Roon’s interface is far superior to my native app. I’ve listened to a few different Aurenders from mid to high end and naturally the room/system was what did/didn’t grab me. I use a Lumin w/ a Roon Nucleus pulling from Qobuz and my stored flacks. The free trail works poorly using a computer as s core (….let’s not go there) so to get worthy SQ a Nucleus core is needed. 

@txp1

You asked..I’ll pontificate and likely drone.

It’s been a many year trip full of learning and a fun for me to get my streaming music sounding analog wonderful and not ones and zeros sounding. Many here have been very kind and helpful and in the later rounds a big shout out goes to @lalitk (All these folks have the same first name.....AT...)

Years back (10+) I used an iPod or Mac lap top into an amp. The iPod rested in a Peachtree audio iDac and that helped. Next I had the plain crackers BlueSound w/ no stand alone system DAC. Then I got a Lumin T2 w/ an external SBooster.

Time out. (at least Take Five)

Had I known how to implement all the other stuff, then I very well may not have upgraded the Lumin T2 or not been so quick (well under two years) to do so. (At this time I added a Roon Nucleus and have been using it as a shell for Qobuz to my hearts delight!). The learning was in cleaning up the ethernet chain by using a EtherRegen w/ an external Afterdark clock, a good PSU and audio grade ethernet cables all round made for a definite blacker background and better sounding playback.

Time in (Also a great album)

I have another lesser streamer in a whole house stereo. If just listing in the den, then often I don’t use Roon (but do). Many days music is on everywhere. Carport too? Check.

Now the steamer is a Lumin X1 (has it’s own PSU) and with that a terrific switch. That’s the M12 gold switch w/ JCat cables and powered by the JCat Optimo 3 Duo PSU. The Roon Nucleus now is powered by an Uptone audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply and cable. Finally the Lumin and the M12 gold are grounded with the Entreq Macro Ground Boxes.

At one point I used fiber optic but copper wire sounds far smoother to me. Fiber optic was a tad sterile. But that’s me with my gear/room and my questionable taste in music, life, dogs, and so many other unmentionable bits.

Everyone here tends to like their own home-brew and in that spirit get a Lumin T3. If your budget allows a used (8K+/-) X1 then.

You need to decide first if you will use Roon and it’s gear.

Cheers

-ATwsrrsw

Love this artwork!