New speakers unveiled from Clayton Shaw - Caladan

As I understand it, Clayton developed these speakers after he parted with Spatial Audio.  At a cost of ~$3K, which is astounding, and a beautify wood baffle, they look sensational.  I heard the sound of them in the video below on my cans and was super-impressed.  They go very low in response as well. I can't wait to hear more reviews of them as I am sure that they will be excellent performers for a really affordable price.  You have lived until you have had OB speakers in your room, which is just my humble opinion.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRrgJ-_npls

whitestix

I am about to order the 4 woofs for my own diy open baffle speaker.   Same woofs as in the Caladan but I want to try a $50 dipole planar on top crossed over at 400hz.  Theoretically speaking, it should be way better than the Caladan.  You can make it yourself for around $1300.  You can also buy the two tweeters that Clayton uses for less than $100 and do a Caladan clone for about the same price.  But I don't think a forward firing $40 tweeter crossed over at 1K will be anywhere near as good as a dipole planar crossed over at 400hz......and my speaker will be time aligned....unlike the Caladan where the tweeter sound hits your ear way before the rest of the spectrum.  Of course you could set back the tweeter on a Caladan clone but it would not look anything like a Caladan and Clayton would not want to go to that trouble for such a budget speaker.

If this sounds as good as I think, I will open my place to people in the Bay Area to come over and listen (for free).  I am not making speakers......just promoting the idea.  Check out my webpages for more info....if you have not already.  These speakers are so easy to make even a 10 year old could do it (intelligent and co-ordinated and supervised...of course).

Of course, even bigger versions could be made with a line source of planars and bi amping, etc.  But even the basic one would probably beat most $10K speakers.  You can build a crude version in one day.....just need a jig saw and a screw driver.  Buy the plywood at Home Depot and have them cut it to your size......you just cut the round holes and assemble.....easy as pie.

I should have this all done in about one month.  Stay tuned for more info.   This goin' to be fun!!!!!

@ricevs - how are you going to mount the planar tweeter too time align it with the woofers?  Are you going to use a deep wave guide?

Hope Clayton does well. Those who say OB speakers have no bass have not heard Clayton Spaital Audio speakers or his current one and I am sure there are more upscale ones to come. I've owned box speakers and Electrostatic speakers, open baffle is like Quad ESL 63's but on steroids. It is one of the only speakers I heard where I would replace my quad ESL speakers that were rebuilt by Electrostatic Solutions in KC, I still love them even though I went OB. They image well and as far as needing some space from the front wall, all speakers do. Even my sealed box speakers the Dynaudio Confidence 5's did and 2 feet out or more they came to life. The one thing oB by Clayton Shaw Designs does extremely well is make the reproduction of the music sound like it is in your room live. Quads can do it at times, but they cannot do the spl like OB speakers.  Box speakers push sound at you, bass will be authoritative if you have the proper room or you will have bass overload, one thing OB by design eliminates by its design, bass is very fast, and detailed and can make you feel it if it is recorded that way, where box speakers give to to you all the time, when the recording should not have bass to that extent due to room build up and enforcing issues. Quad speakers and OB like a front wall with acoustic treatments, side wall early reflection points, and any room back wall defussion. But really all speakers need a good room to work in. So OB is no different than many other speakers, it's an old myth now, OBs have come into their own now, bottom end, imaging, and depth of field. The only thing that bothers me about Clayton is he starts up a company then turns around and sells it. I think this is his 3rd company now. But his designs are sound.. 

This is not a good design for a number of reasons. If you are looking for a dipole you are far better off with Maggies or ESls. All dipoles require subwoofers without exception, not just for better bass, but for cleaner midrange. Any woodworker with a moderate amount of skill could make these speakers in their sleep. I could do it comatose. I also hate BS and that video is full of it.