New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

Before doing so much focus on another speaker & gear option I suggest to make sure the acoustics of the room are optimized. I recently made a change in my room and the impact was big. 

Hello ritter06,

A bit late to the party here, but your post is a very familiar scenario to me and I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I had a set of speakers for many years that were great (Totem Acoustic Wind Design) , but still was interested in considering a new set of speakers. I did not own them as long as your B&W's, but was about 8 years and I was ready to consider a new set of speakers.  I live in a smaller town in Eastern Washington so I don't have local shops to listen to high end gear. I took a 4 day weekend and drove to the Seattle, Washington area to start searching for my new set of speakers. 

I had some brands in mind, but was open minded and just wanted to set out to listen to several pairs that I had not had the opportunity to entertain in the past. B&W and Focal were some of them at the top of my list.

I can be patient and an overthinker so I really didn't anticipate having a full conclusion and driving home with a set of speakers. I also anticipated I would hear several speakers that I liked, but maybe would have a hard time choosing what set sounded best to me when hearing so many... or a day later if the ones I liked yesterday were actually what I remember and so on. 

Long story short, I drove home on day 4 with a pair of Wilson Sasha 2's. There wasn't 1% of a doubt in my mind that the Wilsons were the speakers for me and to my ears sounded superior to the rest.... black and white. I was so thankful and excited to get home and listen to them.  I listened to B&W and Focal as those brands were at the top of my list, some that exceeded the price of the Sasha's and they were too bright/fatiguing and lacked the "real" that the Wilsons offered to my ears. We all hear differently of course, so many could have the same experience and feel differently. 

Just as you, I was nervous to sell my older speakers that I loved so I kept them until the new ones were in my home and I could listen in my environment. Within 1 minute of listening, I knew the old ones would be sold. Getting out there and spending the time to listen to options in person vs. trying to rely on reviews makes me feel super solid in my decision for the long run. It was a fun experience and hope the same for you. Who knows, maybe you getting out there just verifies how great your current speakers are and puts that "bug" to rest for many years... or you find a new pair and experience a whole new tier of listening like I did. 

Post removed 

Vintage is fine but limited in performance with repairs being more likely. Within the last 10-15 years loudspeakers have vastly improved especially in the affordable segment(< $10k).