New Speaker advice

I'm torn on new speakers...thoguht I would canvass this forum, which I have much respect for. I have done extensive auditioning at hi-fi stores, and am still torn! I do however have it narrowed down to the following:

1. Revel f206

2. Revel f36

3. Focal Aria 936

4. MoFi Sourcepoint 10

Initially, I was all in on the Revels because of how well the measure, particularly off axis, since I have an open concept living room kitchen that is wide. So the majority of my in store demos focused on them exclusively. To my surprise, I actually preferred the cheaper f36 models to the f206, perhaps due to the 1.8kHz crossover  between the tweeter and the top woofer, which is quite low...or perhaps it's due to the slightly higher sensitivity...or maybe it was just paired with a better amp. But regardless, to my ears, the f36 was just a more fun and exciting listen than the f206 which felt a bit bland and boxed in by comparison, despite being the better 'measuring' speaker. 

Being confused by the Revels in this way, I started exploring the Focal Aria line, and really enjoyed the Aria 936. Compared to the Revels, it sounded more 'exciting' to my ears...more forward without being fatiguing, big open soundstage and really nice texture. 

Recently, I auditioned the Mofi Sourcepoint 10 because, like many, I wanted to see/hear what all the hype was about. I was suspicious, even with Andrew Jones as the designer, with it being Mofi's first foray into speaker design...but I was honestly kind of blown away by them. 

At the moment, I am tempted by the Sourcepoints, but they are pushing my budget at over 3,500K with stands. To that end, the Aria 936 can be found in great used condition for around $2,500 and the Revel f36 for even less still.

Just curious if anyone has heard all of these speakers and has any feedback / insight? Or recommend anything at a similar price point. Attributes I'm looking for are: Open, airy sound but not too bright, great midrange (priority), and good off axis response (horizontal).

Current set up for context:

Vandersteen 3A, powered by Audio Research D-300, Denon 4700 as preamp, Topping D90 DAC, Sota Comet TT with Rega Exact cart and Parasound JC3 Jr phono pre.

Thanks 

128x128mattsaunders2000

Thanks Soix. Really appreciate it. I was under the 'illusion' that I was taking advantage of a separates system when listening to two channel by using the preamp section of the Denon...what you're saying makes SO MUCH sense...has me thinking that I should make this change before new speakers even. The Vandersteens I have, I inherited from my dad who passed a couple of years ago. They are about 25 years old, and I remember them sounding sublime (albeit in a very tight listening area!)...but in my system, they sound quite veiled and choked...which is a criticism those speakers have earned over the years...but yes, maybe I should try preamp upgrade first! Thanks again

What don’t you like about the 3A’s?   I like many suggest looking for a good pre with an ht bypass.  May be look at a used Modwright or something similar.  Listen to the 3A’s with and without the subs.  You might be surprised. 

Testrun, I don’t dislike the 3A’s per se...they have a good soundstage, and the midrange is awesome...and I have a lot of sentimental attachment to them because they were my dad’s and he got me into hifi. It’s just that they have a very narrow sweet spot where they sound best and soundstage is good...and with my open floorpan, I’m curious to hear something that has a better off axis horizontal response. Also as mentioned, the 3As sound a bit veiled and lack the ’sparkle’ that I’ve heard in some newer speakers (the ones I’ve been auditioning). All that said, I’m really taking the preamp upgrade suggestion to heart, and will maybe start there first.

but in my system, they sound quite veiled and choked...which is a criticism those speakers have earned over the years...but yes, maybe I should try preamp upgrade first! 

Completely agree on your impressions of the 3As, at least the older versions — haven’t heard the newer ones but Vandy speakers have definitely upped the treble detail with their newer models.  I heard the 3As many years ago (so maybe same version you have) with some good Quicksilver electronics and with my reference recordings, which I’d heard on many, many systems in addition to my own (and several that cost well north of $100k), and the 3A’s top end sounded rolled off and dull/lacking energy or life — kinda like someone threw a thin cloth over the tweeter if that makes sense.

If I were you I’d upgrade the speakers first because the 3As may not have enough upper-octave detail to completely reveal a preamp’s capabilities or character in that area whereas the speakers you’re looking at now will likely very clearly expose differences and which pre is right for you.  Plus, those are the speakers you’ll ultimately be using with the preamp so it’ll be very good to know there’s synergy between them that works for your system and tastes.  I think you’re totally on the right track here and that your system is about to take a monstrous step forward and that all your effort is going to be hugely rewarded.  Keep us posted if you could. 

When I listened to Vandy’s I came with the same impression as @soix.  I was just wondering what you were trying to fix.  I traveled the same path some time ago and ended up with almost two different systems in the same room.  It can be a slippery slope.  I also agree starting with speakers is the best way to start.  Just keep in mind what’s driving the speakers in the showroom.  DACs may become your next question.  Good luck on your journey.  Keep us posted.  Sounds like you are taking the correct steps!!!