New Luxman DA-06 doesnt sound so great. Will it get better?

Hi, I recently received a Luxman DA-06 dac (new, gray market Japan import) and it the sound doesnt seem to have any life.  It sounds a bit dull, uninvolving, and just low fidelity.  The best way can explain it is that it sounds like when a phono cartridge has a bad impedance mismatch with a preamp or if the signal gain is too high and it is clipping .  The unit only has less than 15 hours on it.  I wanted to know if this is normal and it would clear itself up or I have received a bad unit.  I have tried it in 2 different systems and it sounds the same. I have tried both outputs, balanced and unbalanced.  I have read this dac requires 100s of hours break in time and I hope the sound improves.  Anyone has any experience with this and could share their thoughts?  I would greatly appreciate it.  
audioman2015

Since this tread is active again I will drop my thoughts.

DA-06 build quality is good but I was disappointed when I disassembled it many years ago and found a major part of the weight was due to a steel plate being mounted to the cover.

The PCM1792a dac chip is a hybrid design which is part r2r and delta-sigma. This was BurrBrown / TI’s attempt to produce a low cost to manufacturer chip than the PCM1704 r2r chip which to this day is still one of the top best sounding dac chips ever made for PCM. It was an expensive chip to make. I wish I would have known this way back then as I wouldnt have purchased thr DA-06 and would have gotten another implementation of a pcm1704 dac.  Even flagship dacs from ESS and AKM do not sound as good with this 30 year old PCM1704 chip for pcm. I think the $45k Trinity dac uses 8 of these chips.

I have multiple dacs that I have acquired over the years and here are some of my favs:

Holo Audio May KTE: I picked this up very recently for my main system and the other poster is correct. This dac runs circles around the Luxman DA-06. The DA-06 isnt even in the same league. The Holo May is probably my end dac because it is that good.  If you are looking for another dac, it ahould be on your list and if you are debating whether to get it or not, just get it. 

LiteDac 60 heavily modified by me and uses PCM1704 x2 dac chips. This one isnt as resolving as the May KTE but it has a better sound stage and instrument seperation. It also sounds more musical than the May. This is due to a battery powered Crystek clock mod and has tube out. I have about $900 invested in it and I would confidently let it compete with $10k dacs. Easily. This one is going to the grave with me.

Technics SL-g700. This sounds better than the DA-06 with a much bigger sound stage. More 3d sounding. It has more heft and body to the sound. It also is a sacd player and a streamer. Its a solid purchase and is in my bedroom system.

I always thought my DA-06 had something wrong with it but there was nothing wrong. It is at the limits of the PCM1792a chip. It is a good, probably one of the best implementations of that chip but it is bested by other dacs with different chips and also by discrete dacs.

I also have a couple of daps that sound better than the DA-06 from Cowon and A&K not to mention a RME all based on AKM chips.  The RME is used for digitizing vinly to DSD256.  The dsd files I create puts all pcm to shame.  My coworkers tell me they havent heard better sound ever when I demoed some select recordings I made from early 80s vinyl. 

The Luxman just is sitting there. I dont use it. It needs to be sold but Im lazy and also dont want to take on the burden if any issues arise in the sale.

Just comes to show you that brand names don't matter much.  Expensive stuff can still be disappointing.  It is getting harder and harder but we still need to figure out how to try stuff out without buying it and being stuck with it.

@milpai Maybe I did, but I don’t remember saying Luxman being as good as $20K DACs, because I have never evaluated a +$20K DAC in my system. In isolation, the D10x is a fine DAC; but when you start comparing it to cheaper high end Chinese/South Korean DACs, it quickly shows its weaknesses.

All my evaluation was done using Gryphon Pandora preamp and Gryphon Essence amp going into Fyne Audio F704 speakers. 

@arize84 ,

A Luxman DAC came up for sale here and I was researching on it. Going through various Luxman threads I came across Luxman D03x Vs D10x

Of course I did notice that you did not like the USB implementation of the Luxman:

Other than weak USB implementation, D10x sounds as good as some $20K DACs I have heard.