Showing 3 responses by mahler123

I wish your friend luck, but there must be several hundred other recordings out there.  The music in endlessly inventive and fascinating 

I read recently that the true creative impetus was that at the time, Bach was under attack by a prominent music academic for unnecessary complexity in his music, and JSB wanted to show that his contrapuntal mastery could be woven into music that was accessible.  He seems to have succeeded admirably.

There is some irony in the notion that an eighteenth century academic would criticize a composer for not having the common touch.  We are more used to the twentieth century scenario where academics would excoriate composers that had any popular following for not being intellectually rigorous.

My favorite recording is an obscure one by by Sergei Schepkin from the early nineties on the Ongaku label.

What instrument do people prefer?  Harpsichord?  Clavichord?  Piano?  String Quartet?  Brass Quintet?

Great to find another admirer of Sergei Schepkin.  I also have all of his Bach recordings.  Other piano recordings in my collection are Perahia, Schiff, Dinnerstein, and Andrezewsi.  I recently picked a Claudio Arrau from the early forties but haven’t got around to listening to it.  On harpsichord Gustav Leonhardt, and also the Sitkovitsky Trio and a brass quintet that has gone missing from the CD shelves