New Esoteric K-03XD

Just bought this SACD Player a month ago. 
It took me a while to get into the hidden menu. 
It sounded great with CD’s, amazing actually. 
I tried it with 2 SACD’s I had lying around. 
One was a Sony Demo, the other a SACD from a friend. 
They sounded great, but not as good as my good CD’s. 
I bought a few more, all remastered old recordings. 
I was disappointed. 
There was a review on The Absolute Sound about a similar Esoteric. 
The reviewer said when it was set to “default” it wasn’t overwhelming. 
He went into the hidden menu and changed some settings. 
Today, I started experimenting. 
I'm glad I did. 
I'm listening to “Trinity Sessons” on CD, by the Cowboy Junkies. 
I've never heard it sound this good !

The reason for the post is, have anyone else changed those settings, and which ones. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xstevizzy

Apologies for a PS, for completeness, when I referred to bandwidth limited, I should also have referred to dynamic range limitations.

How are you enjoying the K-03, otherwise?

It's a really impressive on the transport side, mechanically.  Nicely done.  Other than something super-specialized I can't think of a better one.

I’m loving it. It was my first “Great” SACD/CD Player. Previously I had a Simaudio NEO 260D which only plays CD. 
It was $3000 including the built in DAC. It was great sounding compared to my old unit, but getting the K-03XD was transformational in delivering a 3D Soundstage and the ability to make instruments and vocals sound like individual instrument sound completely locked in position and hear the room or hall it was recorded in. 
It transports you to venue and puts you there. Be it a Church, Concert Hall, or a dry Studio where it usually sounds lifeless if everything was closely miked. 
I’m just starting to buy well mastered SACD’s from recommendations I’ve got on Audiogon. I had a few Rock/Pop SACD’s from the 70’s that I returned most of. 
The Worst was Hotel California by the Eagles. I thought it sounded good on Vinyl years ago, but the SACD was horrible. No life, no air, no bass, no highs. Flat as a Pancake. Even using the 8 band EQ on my McIntosh MA9500 couldn’t make it listenable with my Focal Sopra 2 speakers. 
But, the thing i like most is how it sounds with standard CD’s. I pulled out old CD’s, some I bought for $3 at Walmart that literally made my jaw drop hearing them. I listened to a few old Mark Knopfler CD’s and was blown away with the sound. 
I’ve just started experimenting with the filter and upsampling settings and that is very interesting to hear. Late last night I changed the up sample rate too high and things closed up and i went to bed. Later today, I’ll change them back to the one I liked the best previously. They interact with each other so it’s a time consuming process, but fun to play with. 
This beautiful machine was the biggest improvement I’ve ever made to my system. 
People who’ve heard it can’t believe the sound comes from just 2 speakers. 
I do have decent Hone Theater equipment, but I never listen to music with it turned on. The 3Dimentional Soundstage just fills the room and the speakers disappear like magic. 
Best component I’ve ever purchased !!!

I’m using the MA9500, Sopra 2 speakers, Cardis Clear Reflection signal cables, Shunyatta Theta NR power cable to the K-03 and Cardis CR Power Cord to the MA9500 amp and a Shunyatta PS 10 power strip. 
When I save up some cash, I plan to try the new Shunyatta Power Conditioner. 
It’s around $5K so the trial period with Music Direct will determine if I keep it. 

I used to own an Esoteric K-03 player. The tray and lens gave out years later.

I then upgraded to a music server plus the N-05 dac/network streamer. New AKM chip sounds very much better than the old player’s dac section.

Best sound I get is with non-oversampling setting.

Hope this helps. Cheers!