New Coincident Frankenstein 300B Stereo Version

Coincident has a new stereo version of the Frankenstein. I currently use Coincident Super Victory IIIs speakers driven by Pass Labs XA30.8. My preamp is EAR Yoshino 868PL.

Logic tells me the Frankenstein Stereo would be a steller match with my speakers. I have never had SET amps in my setup before.

Just wondering if I will be going the SET route, would I lose bass?

Love the Pass XA30.8 but curious about what people call "SET magic".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sim_audio_nerd

Showing 3 responses by tswisla

I have had owned the XA30.8 and I now own Frankenstein IIIs.  It seems to me that most people prefer big boomy bass.  The Frankensteins have plenty of bass if you have the right speakers, but the presentation is not what most people are used to.  It is punchy and articulate rather than boomy and powerful.  I tell most people that the XA was the best amp that I owned.  It was very powerful and very detailed at the same time.  The Frankensteins are so beautifully detailed and have such wonderful midrange and at least on my system, have plenty of bass.  What is boils down to in my opinion is the type of presentation you prefer.  The Pass will certainly be more authoritative, but that's not to say that the Frankensteins are anemic, only different.  To my ears, the Frankensteins are sublime and as much as I love the XA, I could never give up my Frankensteins for it and I can't justify having both.

@charles1dad your description is spot on.  That is precisely the way I feel about the Frankensteins. My system is in a ground floor room with 10' ceilings.  The room is approximately 16' x 10'.  I use Zu Soul Supremes and I doubt that I am even using 1W.

@charles1dad  Preservation of my hearing was a significant motivating factor for choosing the Frankensteins.  I can listen at much lower levels and hear much, much more detail.