New Bluesound Node – First Impressions

I'm new to streaming. To get started, I ordered the new Bluesound Node, the just-released successor to the Node2i. It arrived Friday. System: Sonus faber Olympica III speakers, McIntosh MC402 power amp, Magnum Dynalab MD208 used as a preamp, Denon DCD-1600NE SACD/CD player, and various cables, mostly Audioquest. I offer my first impressions, FWIW. I don't claim any particular expertise.

I connected the Node to the pre via Audioquest interconnects. It doesn't accept my aftermarket power cords. Used wireless, not ethernet. I have free trial subscriptions to Amazon Music and Qobuz.

First, Amazon Music. Tried some Beethoven, and some Rameau, with poor results. Compressed, tinny, and unlistenable. 10 minutes of Amazon HD was more than enough.

Next, Qobuz. Brahms, Schumann, Led Zep, Bowie. A very substantial improvement on Amazon HD. Notably, on the same tracks, the Qobuz high-rez sounded significantly better than the Qobuz CD-quality. Differences were immediately apparent on Led Zep's Dazed and Confused, available in both formats.

But the Qobuz high-rez can't compare with CD quality sound on my system as currently configured. On the same recordings, CD quality is clearly superior to Qobuz high-rez played through the Node. Detail, presence, dimensionality – there's no contest.

As a means to explore music to purchase on CD, the Node, playing Qobuz, may or may not suffice. As a substitute for CDs, I very much doubt it will do.

Let me re-emphasize that these are only my first impressions. I don't know how the Node will sound after further break-in, or with an ethernet connection, or with an external DAC, or with different interconnects/preamps/amps/speakers, or with other streaming services. I hope this post is helpful to other forum members considering this or similar equipment.

gg107

Showing 3 responses by larry5729

When I purchased my Node 2i the dealer convinced me to purchase a Project 2 DAC.  When I got it home I felt the DAC made the sound too thin.  I also wanted to play MQA via Tidal.  Maybe MQA is a gimmick, but there must be a reason why they offer this.  I preferred the bass response of the Node 2i played by itself.  I almost purchase a Belcanto DAC.  I wonder if you can hear a significant sound quality difference between the Bluesound Node 2i and a high end DAC.  If so, what is the difference in sound quality and how many participated in a blind test.

I personally think a lot of achieving a perfect very expensive system might be over done.  This seems to reserved to a very few who are very rich and don't know how to spend their money.  I must admit I wouldn't mind being one of them.  The dealer also sold the Cutest DAC and he said that was a really high quality DAC.
If you were to upgrade, would you connect a DAC to the Node 2i or would you just upgrade the streamer that has a better DAC.  Also you did a blind test would most people hear a significant sound difference and if they heard a difference what would they.  What also would be the sound difference.
I meant to ask what changed did BlueSound make with the new BlueSound Node 2i ?  I would think BlueSound would by now offer a higher end streamer so they can expand their market share.  Seems a bit crazy because it sounds like the more expensive DAC chips are not significantly that more expensive.