New Adcom GFA-555 se - Special Edition

Adcom is making a new version of the GFA-555 II, the GFA-555 se. This amplifier is essentially the GFA-555 II with slight improvements including balanced inputs larger capacitors resulting in a better soundstage and an even higher damping factor. Did you know that the GFA-555 is likely the best selling piece of hi-fi equipment ever made, with a build of over 100,000 units? The GFA-555se will be available sometime in November.
power_hungry

Showing 1 response by woodmann

FWIW, I used to work for Adcom and I own or have owned one of every non-MOSFET amp made from the GFA-1 up to the GFA-565 monoblocks.

I was curious about this 555se - I cant seem to find any real information on it. How is the balanced input implememnted? The Adcom GFA-555 PRO (and the 565 balanced option) used opamps for balanced operation and they did not sound as good as the unbalanced input. Also, if this amp is a really a hopped up mk II, then it will have a DC servo and capacitor input instead of a directly coupled signal path like the original. The mk II, BTW, is not a Nelson Pass design, it is an "improvement" of the original circuit by two other designers.

I'm a big fan of the original 555 (only when modified), but I'm curious to see if the new Adcom can make this amp as much a value as the original.

Cheers,
-JamesW-