Need suggestions on preamp

I’m mainly a headphone listener so when I got the chance to purchase a pair of Magnepan LRS speakers near my home town, I ran with it. I love Maggies and their midrange smoothness and live performance feel. I was able to find a used Parasound A21 for $1200 on Marketplace which was replacing my Adcom 545. I’m now running into a dilemma where I think the Adcom 545 sounded more detailed to me. I listen to a lot of instrumental music that I know well and I’m not getting the same level of detail as I’m getting with my headphone setup which is running balanced from my RME ADI-2 DAC. I’m using more expensive Audience AU-SX interconnects on those but even when running the RME direct into the amp (since it has volume control) I’m not getting the level of resolution I’m used to with my headphone setup (Hifiman HE1000 with a Serbian Audio HSA-1B amp).

I think the issue might be related to my preamp. I bought a Schiit Saga+ and despite running good NOS tubes or trying out passive mode I’m not getting the resolution I’m looking for. I’m looking for a recommendation on a preamp that costs between $1,000-$2,000 that will max out the resolution of the Parasound while keeping it’s effortless flow and naturalness in tact. Maybe the problem is the speakers and I really should have gone for the LRS+ or 1.7s? I know the room plays a huge role with Maggies but I live in a small apartment so for now I’m looking for any suggestions that can be fixed with gear. Thanks for any help!

128x128hikaru126

@jfk011 - have you used any of CJs SS offerings like the PFR or the PF2? Wondering if those would be worth it otherwise I’m thinking of going with the Classic as it doesn’t really have many tube rolling options and they’re relatively cheap. 

I’ve got a variety of speakers (Harbeths 30.1 & 40.2, Linkwitz Orions, Emerald Physics 2.7, LeHave Melas, Magnestand Maggies, etc, etc) as well as a new pair of LRS+. And the LRS+ with the right setup sounds as good or better than any of those. But, the “key words” are “the right setup.” And... many reviewers say they can sound as good as most any speakers available.

I also have a lot of different setups – which I have not yet tried with the LRS+ (ARC, Hegel, Parasound JC-1’s, etc.). To this point I’ve driven them with a Parasound JC-2 Preamp and A21 amp with a Bryston BDP2 and BDA 3. The LRS+ can have all the dynamics and detail resolution you can want coupled with phenomenal mids, soundstage and imaging, which rivals or exceeds the other speakers I have.

But... I think my Class D Audio SDS470C amp (300 watts / channel into 8 ohms - only $700 new) has provided better detail resolution and dynamics than the A21, while matching or exceeding the other aspects of the sound – which is truly phenomenal. Those who haven’t really experienced the LRS+ with the right setup really haven’t heard that speaker. But, it can rival or better most any other speaker out there with the right setup in a medium sized room.

If you doubt me – just review any of the video reviews by OCD Audio Guy on YouTube (among others). I can’t speak for the LRS, but I suspect it can sound very similar to the LRS+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zysKBl22A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLdlZ5bJXIY&t=466s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLQSYKIItDY

So... you might try to find a used JC-2 preamp, and a Class D Audio amp (which are “giant killers”), as well as listen to OCD Audio Guy’s suggested tweaks to the LRS / LRS+.  And the Bryston digital equipment likely also contributes to the detail resolution - which I suspect several other players / DAC's can provide.  

@bassdude - I was thinking of that exact same thing. I started looking at Wyred4Sound amps and they seem to be up my alley. A good Class D should give me the detail I want and I was thinking of pairing that with a good tube preamplifier to round out the tonality and keep the soundstage. JC2 preamp is too rich for my blood. 

I’ve tried to get Mikes kit but it’s sold out. Do you recommend any replacements? I could just bypass the fuse holder but it doesn’t look like you can physically get rid of the jumper so I would need a replacement. I do plan on getting an active crossover in the future to clean up the mids so they don’t have to work so hard. 

@hikaru126

Here’s the amp I’ve been considering - and - the one I’d try if I were in your situation. You can get it on trial - so - it’s not a big risk.

https://classdaudio.com/product/gan-fet-amplifiers/

This is the guy I bought my SDS-470C from a few years ago - and - it has been superb with my Maggies. Which is why - I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to his GAN amps - not sure it will make much improvement.

You can’t beat the price - and - it gets rave reviews.

I’d try it with a Schitt preamp to start...

Other suggestions you might consider: Bryston or Benchmark Preamps. I’ve got an ARC 5se which I haven’t tried with the Maggies yet, but it’s expensive, as all ARC products are. It seems to provide good detail resolution.

NOTE: Another option you might consider is a passive preamp, which can clear up the signal a lot. I’ve got a Creek OBH-22 passive preamp, which I got for that reason, which does just that. They function more as an attenuator / volume control. I got it to use as a remote volume control. They provide a very clean, noise-free sound, which improves the detail resolution. I haven’t tried it yet with my LRS+. There are many options at very reasonable prices $100-$500, or so - or - some that are very expensive such as Townshend.

https://tmraudio.com/components/preamplifiers/creek-obh-22-passive-stereo-preamplifier-obh22-remote/

Re: Mike’s tweaks - I got a copper jumper online to remove the fuse, and a silver one to replace the crossover jumper. They make a subtle improvement. I also got one of the crossover’s he suggested - but haven’t set it up yet. I did Amazon and Google searches until I found these items, which I had to cut to fit.

I’m not sure what you mean that you can’t remove the jumper - I thought all the maggie jumpers were the same (maybe I misunderstood you). As far as replacement of the crossover - I wouldn’t mess with that. If you want to remove some of the bass frequencies from the LRS, get an electronic crossover and a powered subwoofer(s) (REL T5 or T7) and route the bass from your source or preamp to the external crossover to your REL(s).

RE:  his suggestion of raising the LRS on stands - I'm not sure it makes a huge improvement.  I got a pair - which made subtle improvements.  You can achieve about the same sound from using the stock stands in the verticle position.

But these tweaks will only make subtle improvements - and - I wouldn’t mess with them until I’d tried the Class D amp. And... if that didn’t make much difference - I’d likely upgrade to the LRS+, which is truly amazing - just as Mike suggests.

I’ve been very pleased with just the switch to the Class D Audio amp, which made a noticeable improvement.

@bassdude - I'm currently running a Schiit Saga+ that I can switch over into passive mode. I feel like a Bryston preamp might accentuate any brightness from a Class D amp hence why I was looking for tubes. I could try the Kara from Schiit but I heard it's not much more different than my Saga, just balanced. 

If I were going to go passive I would try some of Khozmo's stuff or Luminos Audio Axiom II. 

Re to Mike: By 'removing' the jumper I'm referring to taking off the back panel and disconnecting the leads but then the tweeter wouldn't function. The jumper is relatively easily to make, just a solid core piece of silver and bend it to shape. It's the fuse replacements he's making (solid copper rod that he fills with something, not sure what material he's using for that.) 

I did already replace the stands with my own - I made some Oak stands that raises the speakers above 11" I linked the photo earlier in the thread. 

Do you know if the Class D website still sells the SDS-470C or if GAN amps are his new iteration? Ideally like to buy used (not so much for cost savings but because someone else burned the amp in for me lol). 

I think next steps are trying out a new amp, trying the Saga in passive mode. Upgrading the preamp to something else if I'm trending in the right direction and then doing the jumper/fuse upgrade. I was able to get in reach with someone from 11Stereo via email (the phone number doesn't seem to work anymore, not sure if they changed it). I think the +s are probably worth the extra money (not sure how long you've had your pair) but I've heard they lose their amazing detail at first when they mellow out with burn-in. Magnepan never goes into detail with what changes were made (including from the LRS to the plus) so hard to say if they're using a  different driver material or foil. I do know the panels are slightly skinnier so that does affect the bass slightly but perhaps with a more focused imaging as a result?