Need SS preamp that sounds like tube .

I love the tube sound, but I don't necessarily want the tubes. I currently run a CJ PV12. Does anyone have any ideas? My main problem is that auditioning is limited in my area. I am pretty confident that the SS CJ stuff will sound tube-like. But I don't even think there is a dealer in my area. Some needed information: run a Bryston 4B-ST for power, Meridian 508.24 for CD, some PMC FB-1 monitors for speakers, silver Audioquest cable all around. I would like to keep the damage under 5K. As for auditions in my area, I can probably find Bryston, Audio Research, Aragon, Meridian. Oh, I'm sure these stores are authorized dealers for a lot of stuff, but they don't carry some of the pricy brands in stock or as demo. Help would be appreciated.
argent
With the Bryston amp I would go tube pre-amp. Had a 4B and played around for a while with half a dozen pre-amps before I went SET. Tube pres and SS amps can sound very well together. Have to get the synergy right. This can be attested to by quite a few of my friends who run an assortment of systems. A good bet is join an audio club. Best thing I ever did. If you are determined to stay SS, try the BAT SS gear. It has a coloration that appears to identify with "tube like." It doesnt quite make it in my opinion, but I guess to a degree it could be system dependent. Maybe a good consideration for you would be a hybrid pre. See some Lamm gear time to time at your price point. Best of luck and let your own ears decide......
Argent, why spend any money at all? Your Conrad Johnson is a fine preamp. While it may not be the creme de la creme of preamps don't sell your PV12 short, especially with your Bryston 4B. If you feel the absolute need to change the BAT SS pre and some of the Audio Research LS pre's are nice. Good luck with your choice. PS: If you nixt the PV-12, could I have it? :-)
I would definately recommend CJ solid state, particularly the MF-2500. Personally I think it's the closest to tubes as solid state can get. It has this wonderful rich midrange to die for which is very close in character to CJ's tube amps. You'll also like its excellent imaging capabilities, but that's were the similarities to tube gear end; the dynamics and bass extention and slam are like in a really good ss design. Add to it its high current delivery that will drive the toughest loads and you don't have to ask for more.
There is currently a Conrad Johnson PFR SS Preamp on eBay, listed by a very reputable dealer. Auction# 1231260687 ends on 4/25 at 3:51pm PST. Stereophile Class A.
I recently did a showroom comparison between Sonic Frontiers Line 2 and Bryston BP-25, using SS Classe power amp and Martin Logan electrostatics. SF pre was slightly more 3D, but Bryston had better tonality, sounded far more musical and less analytical. Even on mid's, for which tube gear is always more acclaimed, Bryston exhibited more musical tones. I wanted to buy the SF going in to the audition, but I left without being certain of which was better. BP-25 is very nice. SF is slightly more open, with good detail and depth to soundstage.