Need speaker recommendations.

I need recommendations for speaker brand/models that can be placed relatively close to the front wall without degradation in sound quality. Say, within 1-2 feet. My front wall is ’h’ shaped (side view). There is a 1-ft deep ledge at the height of 2-ft 4-inch from the floor (imagine right half of the letter ’h’) and the overall height of the wall is 9-ft. Front to back wall is 18-ft.

Budget under US$8,000. Don’t care between stand-mounted or floor-standing. If a specific partnering amp/preamp are highly desirable (for any reason) please tell me why.

Thanks,

Amit

amitb

If you do not mind active speakers, try GoldenEar Triton Reference speakers. They are exactly within your budget and superb.

I second the recommendation for sealed/acoustic suspension speakers. The obvious choice for high-end sound is ATC (various models of differing sizes and costs). 

I have a pair of passive ATCs (SCM12 Pros) and find their sound very impressive. They're not reactive to placement to nearly the degree most ported speakers are.

In your setup you might get away with a downward firing port, in which case there are multiple models to choose from. I read rave reviews of a new Polk floorstander with downward firing bass ports:

@moto_man I've been having a really discouraging time getting any replies from Joseph Audio. Zero response to submissions of Contact Us form.

Even calling up their dealer in Chicago hasn't been much better. They acknowledged they are a dealer, and after that, when I asked about some suggestions for amps they recommend for pairing with both Pulsar and Perspective, so that I can get a rough estimate of what sort of money I would have to spend for each combo (low to high)... they went silent. Mind you, I have shared with them my email, mobile phone number and address, as well as the dates I could be in Chicago (a couple of months ahead, so they can arrange for the demo equipment to be available)! As much as even I would like to consider them, I don't know if I want to entertain them anymore.

@amitb, don't like that discourage you.  I think that either the Pulsars or Perspectives would sound great.  Take a look at all of the posts regarding those speakers here.  They are overwhelmingly favorable.