Need some $500 & under Amp recommendations

Hey,

I wanted to get some opinions this if I could...

I picked up a new pair of Paradigm Atoms v5 and am looking for a good integrated or amp/pre combo to match. My budget is limited to $500 or under.

What I am looking for is whatever would give me the absolute cleanest sound I could get in that price range. I don't need a lot of power as the Atoms are efficient little speakers.

I am open to anything... tubes or solid, integrated or seperates, used or new... I have already done quite a bit of research... at this point my money is on a Nad C325BEE.

I do realize that with sound gear, one thing sounding 'better' than another is largely subjective. Yet, I would still like some opinions to help, especially since I haven't the resources to test a bunch of equipment before buying. I just want to make sure I didn't miss something in my research and that there is a majority opinion of "Oh, well obviously the Turbo Sonic Medulla Stimulator is vastly superior to the NAD C325BEE."

Thanks for the help everyone!
djembeplay

Showing 16 responses by djembeplay

excellent, thanks for the info.

The Jolida sounded better than your Nad C352?

I would like to be able to hook a subwoofer up though... is there any disadvantage to hooking one up via speaker terminals?
cool, thanks.

My father offered me his old Crown amps... I think I might go this route.

He used them for his Klipsch corner-horns. He sold the speakers and has no need for the amps now. It's a pre-amp and 2 separate amps.

Old Crown stuff is pretty good, right?
Awesome, thanks for the affirmation guys.

So, I wouldn't be able to hook a subwoofer up to the C325BEE?
This is something I indeed did want to do in the future. I'm still not sure how to hook a sub up... I heard you can do it via speaker terminals, pre-amp outs, and I have seen amps like the Outlaw RR2150 with dedicated subwoofer outs.

So if I want to hook a sub up, I want to look for an amp with 2 sets of pre-outs? One for the sub and the other for the power amp?

Thanks.
Ya, I'm so confused...

Nad has great reviews from hi-fi magazines, then I go to AudioReview.com and the c352 received some pretty terrible write-ups.

Tough to tell... some alternatives that keep popping up are Marantz PM7001, Rega Mira (older), Outlaw RR2150, Rotel RA1062, older Creek units...

Idk, I've been researching this fairly intensely for quite a while now and keep running in circles at this point.
Cool, well maybe I'll keep my eye out for a used Jolida... They have been recommended to me a few times now so it sounds like it could be good. A 1501RC sold not long ago on here for $395... I'm bummed I missed that one.

Do you guys know anything about these tube amps sold on Ebay from China, like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MENG-EL84-6p14-x-4pcs-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ190181641597QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
How important is the advertised S/N ratio of an amp? I mean, I don't know if this is a typically inflated figure or what...

Jolida rates some at around 85 (they call it 'noise and hum')... NADs say they are above 100...
ya, why risk it I guess... I would rather just go with a used jolida or nad I think.

Anyone wanna sell me theirs? :)
Hey, thanks Phase... your right about not overthinking it... I think I've been far into the 'overthink' world for a little while now.

Ya, I was thinking the Nad sounds nice as it has a 2nd pre-out for an addition of a sub... which I think I will do in the future. Plus, I like the idea of it essentially being a seperate amp and pre-amp, just housed in the same case.

So you favor the sound of the Nads over the Jolidas, huh?
Wow, lots of info... Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

There's definitely tons of options... the market is far from being dominated by one or a few companies.

Your right Tobias, that's my plan of action now... just keep my eye out for one of the names discussed and/or something that looks good... It seems far-fetched to me at this point to come to a 'I have decided on the one amp I want'. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, I am a newb after all, but from what I gather, once your at this stage of audio it's a bit like wine... it all comes down to preference.

As for the creeks and regas everyone keeps mentioning, where are you looking? lol... I rarely ever see one under $500... except for an older Rega Mira I think.

I don't get the old amp thing though... I mean, technology keeps progressing, it seems like budget amps of today would match or beat higher-end amps of 10 years ago... unless it's tube. But yet people attest to old amps still... I dont get it.

Thanks everyone
Oh, and as for source... I am going to run a usb out of an ibook to a Paradisea + DAC for FLAC playback. Based on what I have read this should sound superb...
What do you guys think about the Rotel Ra-1062 in comparison to a Nad C352?

Thanks for all the advice... I'm adding the recommendations to my mental watch list.

Eldragon - That's what I was wondering about the 'old amp technology'... is if it is getting better with time... I mean, I know speakers have progressed alot... I was just saying I don't understand why this wouldn't be the case with amps.. I wasn't saying it is the case with amps.
Hmm... well maybe I should go that route... Tough choices. That might give me a better sound for the buck, right?

Anyone able to compare the Nad c352 to Rotel ra-1062?
Really? It looks like there is a pre-amp out... but I'm not sure if this would bypass the existing amp. I was assuming since there is a pre-amp out and no amp-in on the back that the bridge between the pre and amp were internal and the one on the back was a secondary output. But this isn't the case?

Anyone know about older Crown stuff?
Does anyone know about this peachtree audio decco?

Here is a link:

http://www.listenup.com/PEACHTREE+AUDIO+DECCO-p-DECCO-p-DigitalMusicSystems.html