Need recommendation for new CD/SACD player

I bought an Oppo 981 secondhand a while back to test the waters of SACD/DVD-Audio. I will say that the SACD sounds pretty good on this player and of the two DVD-Audio discs I have the sound is ok. The redbook audio is absolutely terrible, which I am finding out is a major weakness of this player. My old Technics CD from 1992 sounded better.

I am now in the market for a new SACD/CD player. DVD-Audio is not important and in fact I would like to leave DVD out of the equation all together if possible. So I am here to ask what are users opinions on the best CD/SACD player for under $2000? I have been looking at the Marantz, Denon, and Sony ES models. Also, do you think if I get a model for $1000 that I should add an external DAC for the RBCD? Is there a model that would be great standalone (even if I need to spend a bit more money?). Lastly since I think the SACD and DVD-Audio of the Oppo is decent, should I just spend a grand on a decent DAC (like Benchmark) and use that setup for a while? My other equip for reference is an old Carver C-1 preamp (the next upgrade), a Macintosh MC 250 amp, and Klipsch Heresey speakers, I also have a modded Technics 1210 coming soon. Thanks for the advice.
jlc76
I would really rather keep it 2 ch for now, as I have about 1500 CDs, 500 LPs, 300 45s, and about 10 multichannel CDs. I have a cheaper setup for my home theater which will play multichannel and I will probably move the Oppo there if I get a dedicated CD/SACD.

I don't know much about HDCD, does the music have to be recorded with it? I bet most of what I listen to (indie, electronic, Texas country, and some jazz) isn't encoded this way.

I am hesistant to go with another Oppo, it seems they are great for DVD but I think they are just cramming too much in one box. There is a bug whereby the first second is cutoff of every song when you use the analog out but apparently not when you go digital, so I may just buy a cheaper DAC now and make due until I can upgrade to something really nice.
Jlc76 - SACD is not a PCM and it needs to be converted for use by DACs like Benchmark. I read somwhere on Audiogon that Oppo is outputing/converting SACD only at 48kHz while Benchmark is 192kHz capable. As for quality of the Oppo as a transport - it doesn't matter (according to Benchmark) as long as the player is "bit transparent" - doesn't have digital volume control etc. I use $69 Sony DVD player + coax + Benchmark DAC1. DVD players have poor analog outputs but very good tracking. Check its logic - people complained about Oppos menus and my Sony is completely ridiculous.
LIKE Kijanki & Tweak1 I'D JUST GET A DAC AND KEEP YOUR CHEAP PLAYER. I JUST COMPLETED AN A/B/C/ ANALYSIS OF BENCHMARK DAC1USB, PS AUDIO DIGILINK III AND THE MUSICAL FIDELITY X-DAC V8. ITS THE 3 BEARS STORY-PS AUDIO HAS GREAT LOW END BUT LACKS DETAIL, THE BENCHMARK WAS SO CRYSTAL CLEAR & FORWARD IT HURT AND THE MUSICAL FIDELITY WAS JUST RIGHT. NONE OF MY FINDINGS MEAN DIDDLELY HOWEVER....BOILS DOWN TO WHAT YOU HAVE FOR PROCESSING, POWER, SPEAKERS ETC., ETC. I CAN TELL YOU THIS, YOU WON'T BE UNHAPPY WITH ANY OF THE THREE & YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW GREAT YOUR CD PLAYER WILL SOUND. I HAVE A $99 SONY THAT SOUNDS ALMOST AS GOOD AS MY CAMBRIDGE 840C.
The Oppo outputs 88.2kHz PCM from SACDs and, while it has a digital volume control and channel trims, you can zero them all in the setup menu.

Kal
Pick up a Sony 9100ES DVD player for SACD. You can find them in mint condition for $500 or less. The SACD is very good, but the CD is not the greatest. Then, pick up a decent dac for $750 or so - maybe a Bel Canto Dac2, or one of the Pacific Valve tube dacs and you've got a great rig. The Sony XA 9000ES has better SACD and CD, but still needs a dac if you really want excellent CD replay. Still, you can get the 9000 for about $1400 or so and the Bel Canto for around $700, so you would have some great sound, IMO, for about 2K. You might even be satisfied with the 9000 cd replay. It's pretty good.