Need preamp recommendation

Hi everyone :)

I am in the market for a 2-ch preamp to go with my power amp, and am looking for some recomendations. Will prob go used, as I think I can get more value for my money. I would like to limit the sale price @ $4k.

Do I want this?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Krell-Illusion-II-preamplifier/254393285505

Maybe something else?

Thanks in advance.

riffwraith
My vote is for Audio Research.  Watch the market and you can easily resell the piece if you buy smart.  For your budget you can get a REF 3 that is still well respected as an excellent preamp.  

I have a B&K REF5 S2 and replaced it with an ARC LS3B which completely opened up my sound.  Recently I moved to the ARC LS26 which made another nice advancement in my system.  

Preamps are probably the easiest component to deal with in the used market as they are mostly not too bulky nor heavy.  Whether it is an ARC component or any of the others, follow the same strategy to buy smart....enjoy it in your system for a while and decide if it has what you seek.  If not resell and try again!

Have fun!!
Don Sachs all in preamp is a giant killer. And it has you under budget, and you get brand new built for you.  The LTA stuff is all good too.
Having had over 25 preamps in the last three decades, my current favorite full function preamp is the Doge 8 Clarity.  The line stage is right at home with my Aesthetix IO signature Phono stage and Coincident SET amplifiers.  Incredible price performance.  Read “preamp shootout” parts 1 and 2 for info.  Focused more on phono stages, but a good primer for some line stage comparisons as well.
Another vote for the Don Sachs Audio 6SN7 line stage pre. Just a spectacular performer that you must hear to appreciate. Tube warmth without sacrificing any detail or clarity.