need help with choosing right cables

my system sounds bright.im sure cables are the problem.im using monster 950i innerconnesct and monster biwire speakercables.looking for more of liquid sound with out breaking the bank. my set up: b&k725amp denon333avr msb linkdac3 feeding pioneer333 as transport with monitor audio silver5s speakers.thanks to those who respond.trip
trip

Showing 2 responses by ezmeralda114405

My advice was pretty bad. What you might do before you change any components, like another poster said, play with speaker positioning. Maybe try a pair of the acoustic imager foam rings to reduce diffraction if they fit on your speakers baffle, a $5 tweak. Depending on your room some profoam level one by RPG would smooth out some reflected energy for another $50 and, depending on the cabinets, if they resonate a bit, try some dynamat like material for another $20. I did the latter on a pair of klipsch epic series and while it never tamed my harshness, it did have the effect of adding a subwoofer, the bass tightened up and went deeper, it was neat. All three of those tweaks are far cheaper than any electronics upgrade and, IMHO, better than buying any cable. None of that will "break the bank" as you said. Maybe even get the monster out and try a little run of Kimber Kable 4PR, its cheap, or even try just straight 16g wire and stock interconnects and see how things sound. I'm not a fan of monster. And put the speaker grills on, that can help too. All those tweaks will run you around a hundred+ bucks.
Trip, are those monitor audio's essentaily the same in physical prowess to 5i's, and probably cost the same? I'll just tell you what I would do. I wouldn't buy anything that's not a minimonitor for under $1K. Floorstanders are exponentially more expensive to build and the only thing they give are more bass and efficiency (at best), and within that price point they sacrifice quality of sound (maybe a few exceptions). However, I don't doubt that those monitor audio's aren't all that bad. A nice little tube amp like a dyna st-70 through a pair of good mini-monitors (or even the speakers you have now) would sound nice and warm. Pick a preamplifier and a nice cd player and you could do a nice system for what you could sell it all for. The super pas are classics, and definatley better than the denon, and experiment with cd players. I'm ignorant of the affordable ones (my 2ch system is about $8k), the marantz cd-63 were good. I don't know how the Carver cd players ever sounded but I saw one of there five discs in a pawn shop yesterday for only $129 and was ready to jump on it just for fun(then I saw them on ebay for even less). If I had $1k to spend I'd get the st-70, super pas pre, maybe some biromod wharfedale diamond 7.2's or one of audio concepts kit speakers and fool with a nice cd player for the remainder, maybe even pick up a littel dyna fm-3 tube tuner. It sounds like you listen to music that is kind of relaxed. But like I said, I haven't had much experience with the less expensive stuff in awhile.