Need help with anti-skating on Technics SL-1210GR

Hi, I have a Lyra Delos on my 1210GR. When using a blank record or doing the end-of-grooves technique the arm continue to go towards the center unless I have the anti-skating set to 3. I can drop the arm at the beginning of a blank disk and it will move towards the center until I turn the anti-skating all the way up to 3. Repeatable every time.

Do I have a faulty anti-skating? Should I leave it at 3?

I have confirmed the weight at 1.75 with two different scales. I’m also pretty sure the alignment and overhang are correct although I’m not an expert at doing the last two.

Any suggestions?
128x128arancano

Showing 2 responses by mijostyn

I'll agree with Chakster on this one. The Hi Fi News record is excellent however in a pinch the run out area method is valid. Put the stylus down between grooves in the run out area. It should drift ever so slowly towards the spindle. Forget about the gradations on the tone arm they are always hopelessly inaccurate. Set the anti skate to whatever it takes to achieve the final results. Make believe the gradations are not even there. 
Having said all this you better check your overhang again. If the cartridge is too far out skating will increase dramatically. 
Enjoy the Lyra. Good choice.

Mike
Thanx lewm.  petg60 that is a hopeless way to set anti skate as by the time you hear mistracking it has gotten past severe. Small amounts of mistracking are hard to hear. The Hi Fi news test record has a wonderful anti skate test. It is the most accurate way to get "in the middle" as skating changes with groove velocity and position on the record. Too little anti skating is just as bad as too much. Aside from VTF this parameter is the most important as far as getting your cartridge to track at its best.