Need help selecting a streamer for a beginner.

So I have been collecting music since 1959.  I love my vinyl and cd’s.  But technology moves forward and I don’t want to be left behind.  So I’m in the market for a music streamer.  I just want something that can access music through my wi-fi network, and plug into my existing preamp.  I would like to take advantage of the increased sampling rates like with Tidal.  There seems to be a wide spread in price points but since I’m just beginning I don’t want to spend a lot (under $1000).  Let me know your suggestions and thanks.

My system:
Thorens turntable
Ayer CD player
Krell KCT preamp
Krell FPB400cx
Revel Performa F32 speakers.
128x128pipebro

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the above…
There are numerous threads in this section addressing your very issue.  You won’t have to scroll very far to find them.  My recommendation is the Bluesound Node2.  It works better wired, but everything does.  For about $500 you get a streamer that can handle resolution, comes with a DAC, and has an easy to use App
The discussion here between @david_ten and @fuzztone is interesting because 
of the changing nature of digital technology and terminology.  For example, the term “integrated amp” , now sometimes called “digital amp”now routinely refers to what I would call “integrated amp with included DAC “.  If someone is writing about an integrated amp sans DAC, they now start referring to them as retro amps.  Similarly, streamers are specialized computers (usually Linux) for networking and music reproduction.
  I tried Googling the definition of a music streamer, and there doesn’t seem to be a standard .  I should add that for me, a definition isn’t a gold standard unless it’s been endorsed by the Oxford English Dictionary.  In the present Information Age, the use of terms, particularly tech terms, changes so fast that the OED can’t keep pace.
  Certainly any bog standard computer can do what a streamer does.  I therefore think that PCs should be included in the streamer definition   Whether it does it as well is another matter.
  Back to the practical matter—the OP wanting to explore streaming— assuming he has a PC —it’s the first place to start.  I would buy a program such as Audirvana Plus, which I have and still use.  This basically tries to turn off all the stuff in the PC that isn’t essential for streaming and music reproduction, and also provides a graphical interface for searching the collection.  I don’t use Tidal so I can’t comment on Tidal integration.
  Will it sound like analog?  The OP can always fry some bacon in the background if he wants that experience.  However, if his DAC is up to it, he might try some High Resolution and/or DSD files and be amazed at what he has been missing by using an expensive needle slashing it’s way through a slab of petroleum to extract music.
  Eventually he might tire of having a PC in the equipment chain.  I know I did.  Streamers, in the commonly accepted use of the term as employed by @fuzztone, eschew a lot of the b.s. that come with PCs, and since they are dedicated audio components tend to sound better that optimized PCs, but ymmv