Need help choosing speakers to replace my B&W 606s

I currently have a 5.2 system that I mainly use as a home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-A1080 receiver, the B&W speakers with a center, and two SVS-2000 subs. I am looking to replace my 606s with something more impressive; more soundstage and clarity. I want to keep using my receiver; hence, I don't want something that is difficult to drive. My room size is 12' x 13'. lastly, my budget is up to $1500 but I am willing to build my own cabinets so I am mainly looking for kits at the moment. 

These are the speaker kits that I am choosing from at the moment:

Right now I am leaning towards full range drivers because of the convenience, but I can't convince myself. Would appreciate some advice and suggestions. Thanks.
pleasetakemymoney

Showing 1 response by soix

I have an idea that might interest you. If you’re looking for “more soundstage and clarity” you’ll get that in spades from the Scan-Speak B741 Speaker Kit by Peter Noerbaek (as in PBN speakers). I had these speakers in my system on demo built by Peter himself, and they were truly outstanding in terms of detail, neutrality, and a wide open 3D soundstage with tight and tuneful room-shaking bass. Also, I drove them to very loud levels with my 100Wpc stereo amp so there’s a good possibility your Yammy can do a respectable job. BTW, I’ve heard your AVR driving B&W804D3s and it sounded surprisingly amazing, so I don’t think keeping it for a while is such a bad thing. But I do agree replacing it eventually with a good integrated or separates will get you more, and the B741 will certainly scale up and reward you accordingly as its capabilities and limits are very high.

The bad news: The kit costs about $3500 from Madisound for the crossover and drivers. But, the crossover alone is “only” $1200, and Peter (being Peter) used Scan-Speak’s top Illuminator drivers in the kit, so if you chose still very good but less costly drivers it’d cost a lot less and probably still sound close to the full Monty kit. Anyway, probably a nutty idea, but since I got to hear the speakers and they offer so much of what you’re looking for I thought I’d throw it out there FWIW. Best of luck in your search.