Need advice on what to purchase to hold 1TB of music and connect to my new Innuos Pulsar.

I just need 1TB of file space and won’t ever need more.  I am most interested in sound quality and staying under $500. The less money the better - if possible.    It will be hooked up to an Innuos Pulsar that has no internal storage.  The Pulsar is streamer only. My music, only 1100 CDs, is already stored on a Raid and I will only use this Raid for backup. 

No idea what I need. Don’t think I need a NAS, but may. Do I just buy a 1TB SSD drive? Which one? Connectivity? This is not an area I am well versed on as in the past I have always owned servers which had on board storage ( Innuos Zenith 3).  

I am a little lost here fellow Agoners. Thanks for your help.  Bill 

128x128grannyring

“I'm not sure how adding LPS to a NAS would help with sound quality”
@phishhhhh4 

You may want to check out discussions on wall wart vs LPS. 

@chilehed that was my thoughts too. They have to differentiate the two lines or end up cannibalizing the Zen/Zenith series.

I was considering a Pulse as an 'upgrade' to my Zen MK3, but once I found out it didn't support direct file playback via connected SSD, I stopped looking, and will probably go the Zenith route. As 90% of my music is FLAC files. I stream qobuz when I'm discovering new things, but get the albums if I like them. 

The Pulsar is like a Zenith 3 plus Phoenix in sound quality or so I read. Not sure this is really true. I loved my Zenith 3 and will miss its ease if use with internal storage. The Zenith 3 also rips CDs and auto loads them. The Pulsar costs some $1100 more than the Zenith 3 with no CD ripping ability or storage. Not too much to ask for the ability to plug in a USB thumb drive or SSD. No cannibalizing worries here in my opinion.

I have always owned Innuos units with internal storage so I did not have to deal with all this stuff I am now researching. I suppose it’s good to learn something new!

To discern SQ differences when using a LPS on a NAS with your music files you posses extraordinary hearing and a high end system

Congratulations on both