Need a preamp with tone controls!

OK, most audiophiles would say I shouldn't need tone controls, but I have a good system that plays QUALITY recordings beatifully, so much that it makes me not even want to listen to many of my 70's & 80's stuff. This comprises the largest part of my collection. So I've been looking at McIntosh preamps...great tone controls/equalizers, etc. Any others out there of audiophile quality???
128x128cohicks4
Ditto the Acrosound and Luxman as preamps you should audition.  Alternative: Van Alstine custom modifications of Dyna PAS-3's.
If the OP is talking about 70's and 80's vinyl, I use a different cartridge (or stylus if I'm in a MM mood) for my older stuff that is of less than desirable quality. It is preferable to me because I'm very happy with my preamp on good quality recordings. Room acoustics are the same for both types of LPs.
For instance if I've got my Shure V15 mounted, would use a SAS stylus for well recorded LPs in good condition; but switch to a HE stylus for those with more surface noise or too sharp on the high end. The MR seems to bring out more bass when needed. Just another approach you might be able to try. 
The Accuphase Pre-amps are just the thing. I had the C-2850 which has not just bass/treble controls but also a loudness compensator. To this I also had the DG-58 Voicing Equalizer, these units go together like peas and carrots. Working as one this may be one of the best solutions around for room correction and sound wave tailoring. Using the HS-Link to hook them together and everything stays digital, along with an A/D section that is truly top notch, mated to a world class D/A section. The problem is price, but if you find a used C-2800 and DG-48 I am sure you will be more than satisfied.