NAD M22 V1 versus M22 V2 or M23

Looking for folks with experience on 1 or more these amps - especially comparisons between any 2. I’ve already gleaned what I can from search (I think).

Recently acquired an M22 (V1) that I’m pleasantly surprised with. It pairs especially nicely with a VAC tube preamp and warm-sounding Hagerman tube phono stage. This amp was meant for "non-critical" duties alongside M12 in a movies & streaming system, but ended up liking it enough that it’s now got a fighting chance in my smaller 2ch + vinyl system. Incidentally the M12 preamp didn’t fare nearly as well here - it has been mildly reprimanded and banned from the 2ch + vinyl rig lol.

I absolutely LOVE the power, killer dynamics + bass, and overall transparency of this amp. I’m less thrilled by what I discern as a little bit of listening fatigue coming from the upper treble region. And its midrange is certainly not supplying any added "sweetness". BUT it’s still good for a rollicking fun listen, and certainly wakes up my 10" Tannoys to a degree I’d not thought possible.

I’m looking specifically for a sense of what sonic gains could be expected from either the V2 revision (same nCore as V1) or an M23 (Eigentakt). I don’t really care for a technical discussion of why the new modules are better - I’m looking for subjective impressions. I also know about the lower-cost C298 - it looks sweet, but the aesthetics and build quality of Master series are important to me (however, I am still interested in C298 vs. M22 impressions).

If there’s hope of improvement from either upgraded model, I’d love to get that and put the M22 V1 back in my movies / streaming rig. I listen to my 2ch quite loud (~ 90+ dBs average), so the power of these NAD units seems to be a decisive advantage over the ~ 100 Watt class amps.

Don’t need to hear from haters of the M22 / M23 / Class D amps - I know they’re out there. Obviously I’m not one of you 🙂

128x128mulveling

@jared_adams

Didn't take a chance on the M23. Ended up going in a TOTALLY different direction, buying my dealer's old demo VAC Statement 450S (predating the iQ feature) tube amp. Put KT120 in place of the stock KT88  (huge change in sound here), and have been SUPER happy with the amp. I've also had VAC Master 300 in my main rig for a while now - these are both a large cut above the lower line VAC amps, like 200iQ.

I still really like the M22; amazing performance for the $, but soon realized the rest of my system was beginning to lean heavily on the dark side to balance it and meet my sonic preferences. In particular, VPI turntables (which are very dark sounding, especially with the 3D arms) were a good match to M22. Even then, the M22 still needed a tube preamp to round it out, IMO.