NAD C658 With Tube Power Amp?

I am re-engineering my sound system from a music-only 2.0 system to a "home theater 2.0" system. I would like to find a preamp that takes coax, optical, and HDMI digital inputs, and output to a tube power amp.

I have read mixed reviews of the NAD C658. Some buyers seemed really happy with their purchase, and others thought it was too "hard" or "clinical" sounding. I have a strong preference for a tube or tube-like sound.

Currently, I have a Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated, and am thinking of pairing the NAD C658 with either a Mystere PA-21, PrimaLuna Prologue Premium, or LSA VT-150. My speakers are the ELAC Carina FS247.4 towers.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjonathan_dunn

Showing 1 response by kota1

I would like to find a preamp that takes coax, optical, and HDMI digital inputs, and output to a tube power amp.

I would recommend the Marantz 8805 for around $2K. You can run it in stereo, it has balanced inputs, a phono input, a "pure direct" mode for two channel, all the inputs you desire and an upgrade path for the future is you ever want to add more channels,.

Review and Measurements of Marantz AV8805 AV Processor | Audio Science ...