My PerfectWave dac is working!

My PWD is NOT working!!!

I tried connecting the dac, with a cd transport connected via coaxial, to my preamp via balanced and rca cables. No sound.

I was thinking the problem was with the preamp. So, I connected the PWD directly to my monoblocks. No sound either via rca or xlr!

The unit is on, and appears to be fully operable. Is this an audio gremlin, or are there problems with these pwd’s that I’m not aware of.

I purchased this unit brand new and have used it sparingly because I use vinyl a lot.

I’ve run out of solutions. Can anyone help?

128x128coltrane1

Showing 4 responses by mahler123

It doesn’t seem like a dilemma to me.  The DAC worked with a different integrated amp.  You never tried anything else with your new separates and somehow decided to blame the DAC, but if the phono preamp also is producing no sound, then the problem seems to be the amps.  

have you tried another digital source into the dac besides the CA Transport? A streamer, or a CD Player, or even a television?

The first step would be to see if the DAC works with other digital sources. If it does then the issue must be the CA transport, or the handshake between the transport and the DAC.

If other digital sources fail to produce sound via the DAC then the problem is potentially the DAC or the Preamp. Does your preamp have an included DAC?

From what I can tell it doesnt, but if so, then...

You could be connecting one DAC to another, and then you wont get sound

Have you actualy produced sound before from the seperate pre and power amp with any other component?  If you haven't then look there first

I think that you are wasting time and money by trying different tubes

Do you have a friend or relative who has a working system that would let you bring the DAC over and see if it works there?

You have narrowed the problem down to the amplification, so if I was you I would forget trying to tweak the DAC.  So lets talk about the amps

Do you still have the previous integrated amp that you used?  If so try connecting the pre amp of the integrated to the power amps.  If everything works then the problem is the new pre amp.

If that doesnt solve it connect the new pre amp to the power amp section of the integrated ..If you get sound then the problem is in your power amps.

If you no longer have the integrated, perhaps look to buy an old integrated or AVR from a charity shop or ebay.  It could be old as long as it works.  Then use that for your testing