My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

Showing 2 responses by theo

Sorry to hear that, although I never used my 105 for streaming, I was relieved to read that it still functions as a player. I have been concerned about losing this unit if it ever fails. I use mine primarily as a BluRay, Cd Transport and for SACD 2 and 5.1 surround. 
That said, I use the Bluesound Node for streaming and it does a good enough job on its own and even better with an external DAC. If you prefer the sound of the DAC of the Oppo, you can take the digital out on the Bluesound in the digital in on the Oppo and you’ll be back in business.

It does seem odd that streaming is the only function that has failed. Have you checked the Ethernet connection, re assigned your Wi-Fi if so used? And I am sure you have tried unplugging the unit, press each face plate button while unplugged for a capacitance reboot, to see if self corrects?

Good Luck

Theo

Simao, sorry I should have been more definitive about the reboot process.  Any or all of the buttons will work.  The idea is to drain any stored capacitance which will be discharged by pushing buttons.  That lack of any stored capacitance or energy which can cause micro processors to keep even Minute memory stored and cause disfunction, will be erased. So upon plugging the unit back in the processors will restart in their default programming.  

However if OPPO didn't recommend this, it may not work.  But no harm can be done by trying. This procedure works most anything with processors. I have even seen it work in older cars by disconnecting the battery. A lot of people recommend a similar process but say leave it unplugged for 5-10 minutes and it can discharge the processors as well.  Just by pushing buttons, it forces the processors to drain as it will try to utilize any stored energy to fulfill the requested command.

I have a Maytag washer that I have to do this on occasion and actually have the beeper emit a tone and light the panel 2-3 times while unplugged. 

Good luck and let me know what results you have.