My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

Showing 6 responses by simao

@theo Thanks for the sound advice. Yes, Ive hecked netowrk and also installed and tried to use the app on several other device, all with the same "Login - Client not found" message. I've emailed Oppo support but don't know how much they can do as they no longer deal with their hardware. But I'm intrigued by the capacitance reboot. Which buttons specifically? I've googled but nothing comes up. Could there by a circuit/capacitor failure inside the unit? 

@mahler123 My DAC audition is down to the Schiit and the Denafrips. They both are a significant and unmistakable improvement over the Oppo's Sabre chips. 

@soix Thank you. yes, I contacted them (tho it's a Sunday so they won't reply until the work week) and am hopeful for a reply. They do say on their site that they would continue to support their products, so mad kudos to them. 

@jl35 I've been considering that. Thanks for the heads up!

@mahler123 @tony1954 @theo Good advice and suggestions from all. I was just about to pull the trigger last night on a wonderful used deal on a Cambridge CXN on the other site when I get this reply form Oppo: 

"We've had similar reports regarding TIDAL.  Since there haven't been any recent changes to the app, our guess is the change came from TIDAL's end.  Unfortunately, given that OPPO Digital is no more, we do not expect a fix to become available.  You can try using a third-party app called mConnect for TIDAL instead."

So I install mconnect lite and it now works as an interface with the Oppo. Does that make the Oppo into a renderer? And does that affect the sound at all compared with going direct to Tidal through the Oppo?

@rettrussell That's unfortunate. Have you emailed customer support at Oppo directly - service at oppodigital dot com?

@designsfx  yes. I do appreciate the advice. You gave it after I had emailed Oppo and I am happy they said the same thing. I don't really see a sound difference at all. I was just unclear as to how that interface worked. Nothing spotty. And through the Denafrips it sounds really really good. I'm kind of new on the digital scene haven't used just the Oppo for years along with my analog rig so the Custom Tailoring of DACs is a learning curve for me