My new review for The Absolute Sound comparing AGD GAN amps with BHK300’s

I am normally best suited to be behind the camera, but The Absolute Sound convinced me I should try my hand at reviewing. In listening to AGD’s Audion GAN amps I compared them with my BHK300’s. This was done direct from the my Dac - PS Audio DS MKII with APS transformers, to eliminate any preamp interactions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0p6MUKSVo8&t=616s

emailists

I really enjoyed the review for all the info and analysis. I actually have owned the Audions for about 1 years now and have gotten the upgrade tubes as well. The claims are true and the change in the faux tubes do change the sound signature very much like tube rolling.

The AGD I heard at Axpona from Alberto the designer room they sound good. If Iam correct Caladan speakers are using atmasphere class D they are good as well.

Good job. A friend of mine brought over a set of Mark 2. Your review is consistent with what I heard. I thought they were very cost effective for their price. While they did not best my Audio Research Reference 160m they were not at all a slouch. 

Nice review!  I've heard them twice at THE show in So Cal, and they sound pretty good!  BTW, the chips were developed by International Rectifier.

So much WRONG here!

Comparing a Class D to an analog discrete amp, for one! Class D has far fewer parts and switching style supply.

And that load of crap about “unobtainium” audio GaN MOSFETS!!!  Gees Louis!!! Switching MOSFETS have been used in high dollar audio amps for DECADES!! GaN MOSFETS are still MOSFETS!! Most are very linear but the GaN have efficient on/off states. GaN have efficiencies for switching use at ULTRA-AUDIO FREQUENCIES, hence THE CLASS D amplifier!!! DUH!!!  

So this is supposedly an “AUDIO GaN MOSFET”…….. used as a switching device in a CLASS D audio amp!!! You HAVE GOT to be kidding me!!!! The GaN devices aren’t even used in AUDIO FREQUENCIES!! In a Class D amp, they are used as very high frequency switching devices, and NEVER SEE any frequencies between 20-20kHz!!!  

And then, the CUTE little mounting of the switching circuit inside a glass envelope!!! Oh for Pete’s sake!!! REALLY????!!

Sorry!!! But this review is loaded with disinformation and downright misleading claims by the manufacturer, glossed over and passed on to gullible consumers!!

REALLY????!!

@wolfie62 Its perfectly valid to compare amps of different classes of operation.

Regarding the 'unobtanium' GaNFET, I understand your skepticism- I reacted the same way. The designer claims he uses a device 'designed for audio'. As you know, GaNFET's main advantage, their raison d'etre, is for switching so of course any GaNFET could be used but if you wanted to optimize one for a class D audio amplifier it would have a low output capacitance. That was something we considered when we chose the parts we use as well. So we can assume that is what is being used. That is the extent of being 'designed for audio'.