My journey to find a speaker + amp + setup for classical music (piano)

Hello, my small room project is almost done, only left with a few acoustic touches. (Couple pieces from GIK, Vicoustics, maybe)

After leaving this hobby for years, I needed to spend quite a time catching up and got lots of help from the forum. I’d like to briefly share my little experience.

First of all, I don’t think I’m an audiophile who likes equipment... indeed I don’t try to listen to the equipment, I just like music. So sound quality comes first, but I only care about the quality of music I listen to (Classical, primarily Piano based and some Jazz) with my sources. This means that some of speakers I consider as “not really” work wonderfully for pop/rocks etc but somehow lack certain aspect in classical music.

I try to come up with the least amount of BS but a slight touch of personal voodoo too. Still, I only care “how it sounds” to me. - Best sound quality with least amount of money

Initially, I was considering something for a bigger space, but I decide to put something in a small room first. Anyway, here’s the result.

Note:

Contenders mean something almost equivalent. Boulder 866 has very slight edge over these for me. When I think “not really,” it just means that either not my personal taste, the quality isn’t in the same league, or the cost-performance ratio is not satisfactory.

Set up

• Boulder 866
  • Marten Parker Duo
  • Wireworld Eclipse speaker cable (wouldn’t go for expensive ones; also, I would avoid Jorma trinity and anything Nordost) PAD would be worthy considering but only top line meaning $$$
  • Wireworld Toslink cable
  • I got an Audiolab CDT to play cds. I have
  • Roon, Orbi router
  • Lan cable from Bluejean
  • Dbpowrtamp for cd ripping
  • Some Sacds and Qobuz subscription
  • Butcher acoustic platform
  • Now Playing easel from Daiso

Note. I thought I might need a sub like JL f110 v2, but it turns out I do not need it.

• Amp Contenders
  • CH Precision I1
  • Gold Mund Telos 590 Next Gen 2 w $17k tag (including tax - 50% deal from a dealer, with full Msrp - nope)
  • Dartzeel LHC 208
  • Vitus sia 025

(Not really)

• Gryphon Hagel
  • Pass int
  • Jeff Rowland continuum S2
  • Bryston
  • Luxman

• Speaker Contenders

Honestly, I can’t find any other contenders with a similar price range of $11k - bottom line is I coudln’t find one for reasonable lengthy audition.

(Not really)

• SF Olympia iii
  • Focal Sopra 2
  • Magico A3 / S1
  • Wilson Sabrina
  • Brodmann VC 2
  • Harbeth / Graham / Tannoy
  • Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby / Liszt
  • Boenicke w8, w11
  • Steinheim alumin 2
  • D&D 8c
  • Avant garde Uno Fino
  • Odeon Helix
  • Genelec
  • B&W 803

Fast, high sensitivity - in my case, ceramic/diamond is the starting point. I couldn’t find something horn for my case. - Matching Boulder is secret for ceramic and any other typically considered metallic sound.

“Depth” with the right amount of detail is the key - all about detailed tonality with the right amount of pressure when music coming out.

• Dac / Streaming Contenders

Very difficult to find one to compete.

Boulder’s integrated DAC is surprisingly good. Boulder knows something for sure. Streaming is flawless too.

• Molamola / MSB

Personally, I like MSB DAC but don’t like how this company does business. So If I had to go for separate boxes, I would pick Molamola or Dac from Boulder. (new, more affordable model coming.) Aurender topline product is interesting but a bit too much $.

• Possible upgrade or sidegrade (under 50k) for a bigger space

Boulder 866

+ Parker Quintet (no diamond)

+ Alumine 3 (it’s tricky one though)

+ Sabrina X

If I won a lottery, I would consider the boulder 1100 series with a bigger house.

Along with the 20% discounted Formation Duo that I picked up years ago for wireless, this setup is very cost effective considering its performance level, mainly boulder 866.

If there’s any question about the specific combo mentioned above, I will try to share my memory.

Have a nice day.

128x128sangbro
Go and listen or order from Music Direct for a home demo the Yamaha NS5000 speaker. Yamaha has some background with pianos. This speaker can fill a good sized living room.

I created a thread on this speaker a few years ago. I finally can buy this one and will do so in 2021. TAS did a review of this 5000 line on September 2020.

I have demoed the 5000 line with exactly the components described in the TAS review. I will be pairing the NS5000 with a $7K KRELL K-300i integrated amp with internal DAC. This gear is not as good as what in my office but pretty close and very convenient.
I am interested in NS5000, but couldn’t find one locally and in Asia(when I stayed there) somehow. I am too lazy to go through home demo unless I’m 90% certain that I would buy. When I get a chance, I’d like to try that one out. My experience with Brodmann (former Bosendorfer) is it’s good for piano and concert hall-like staging but overall there’s some factors I don’t like. This is a problem when I listen to concertos/symphonies. 
Where are you located. I can point you to an NS5000 if you are in the USA.

If you like piano you really need to hear the NS5000.