My High End Audio Gear As A Long Term Investment!!!

I’ve had enough years of fiddling around with all this expensive High End Audio gear. No more speaker musical-chairs for me or switching out my amp every few years, or chasing the latest new shine penny, etc. It’s far too costly (and a headache to boot). So a couple years ago I decided to take time and care in diligently putting together a fine audio system, within my budget, of course, that would preform at such a high level of proficiency that I could be sonically satisfied for many, many years to come. Mission accomplished!!! My audio system is soo musically satisfying to me that I could honestly live with it for the duration (but it didn’t come cheap). I know it’s hard to believe. At this juncture, and yes I’m old, I’m just flat-out tired and weary (so is my wallet) of all the hassle of buying and selling gear and (losing $$$ every time), never being satisfied with what I have even though what I have is already quite outstanding. Lets face it, it’s a fun hobby, but it can be an extremely expensive hobby, especially for an average guy like myself. So, I’m done trying to keep up with the Joneses. And now I just want to be content and happy with the wise long-term investment I made in my wonderful sounding audio system and just enjoy it without the constant burden (cloud of uncertainty) of thinking about switching out anything anymore. What a relief it is for me to finally after all these years be able to settle down in front of my audio system with the music being my only concern with a glass of fine red wine and just forget about all my troubles. It good feeling!!!  Anyone else have the same attitude toward the hobby as me?  Are you content with the decisions you made on your audio system?  Are you done with it like I am?   

kennymacc

As I read through this I’ve kind of gone in the direction that @hilde45 makes above. I look at the “investment” in audio equipment as being nothing more than investing in my own enjoyment (or myself). 
Knowing that there is always something better out there is a struggle that some deal with better than others but I think once you get to a certain level of experience you’re more able to appreciate what you have and make better decisions about what’s important rather than placing that importance on having the next best thing.

I don’t know if I would say that I’m finished when it comes to acquiring gear but when I sit down to listen the last thing I’m thinking about is “would be better had I spent more money?”. Be happy and enjoy your system for the experience it offers you and if you feel that experience should be heightened go for it- there’s nothing wrong with that either!

"Both of my Kenwood KD turntables, KD 500 and a KD550"

@puptent I had a KD550, bought it new back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, from the Electronic Workshop in Greenwich Village. Always liked it, I think at some point I sold it for a Basis. 

Audio gear may be "an investment" in rare instances, but it's mostly an expensive hobby.

You think audio is bad, get yourself an airplane.

I dont know if i can call my wife a " pleasurable" investment ... No more than i doubt if i can call "music" experience a pleasurable investment ...

They are for sure by some aspects ... But as any half truth it is not even wrong , it is worse than wrong ...

Something i choose which choose me too changed my life , be it Bach or my wife , i will not call that a " pleasure" , it is way more than that at the least it is a joy and joy is eternal , pleasures are not ... You buy pleasures not love nor understanding 😁😊

Someone can say that we speak about the "gear" not about music here ...But the gear dont exist as in investment when music is there , buying bread is not an investment nor a mere pleasure , it is living ...

We can sell bread and Bach, it is a money investment in this sense ... I will answer that "economy " is a sacred participatory act at the origin based on an exhange with the "other" ...It is a way to inhibit war and annihilation but it is more than that ...

We must rewrite economy for an age where there will be no needs unanswered , only a sacred participation in the universe ... I go to far and i will stop here ...

In a more mundane way, for me the gear is an acoustic problem to solve and understand not an investment ...Only obsessed people think about their gear as an investment to justify an obsession which is always misplaced focus of attention  ...The gear is always an interesting unsolved problem ...

Just thinking a bit more about the word "investment."

Investments get *more* valuable over time.

With that in mind, what percent of gear folks here have sold went for more than they bought it?

Besides my Pass XA-25, I don't think I have a single piece of gear I could sell for the same price or even 10% LESS -- let alone more.