My apologies_Upgrade path from Wilson WattPuppy 7's?

Folks-

I am the naive person who posted about which speaker to buy next, my system is all McIntosh, except for the downloaded high-resolution music content. Since I have price limitations, I have been attempting to audition loudspeakers under $15K, preferably used or demos. In various stores, I have heard the following:
  • Vandersteen Quarto CT's: Great bass, but an active system that does not seem to resolve high mid-range strings like a Wilson;
  • Triton GoldenEar Reference;
  • Sonus Faber Venere S and Olympica's, great sound in the store.
Currently, I am auditioning (in-house) Wilson Yvette speakers (it cost $400 for an in-house demo), and they sound great to me, but they are too expensive, even at a reduced demo price.  I started comparing frequency and impedance curves where I could obtain them (mostly Hi-Fi news from the U.K.), but I am becoming too obsessive about this.

So, I guess I could buy the Wilson Sabrina or Wilson Sasha WP (discontinued Series 1), since I seem to like the Wilson sound. Any advice?

Thanks again - Gerry
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930

Showing 5 responses by gerryah930

Folks-

Thanks for the advice. I forget to mention that I already own Watt Puppy 7 speakers and my listening room is about 300 sq ft with sound absorption on walls and ceiling.

Thanks once again- Gerry
A few observations from the OP of this thread:

(1) My McIntosh 275 VI has been measured at 90 watts, and has more than adequate current to drive the Wilson WP7 speakers that I own;
(2) I would like to thank the fellow from the Audio Connection who I talked to about speaker choices - thank-you so much for talking with me in an intelligent manner - it was extremely useful!
(3) I have demoed the following loudspeakers in my newly designed 307 sq ft listening room, and here are my observations:
  1. Vandersteen Quatro CT's: Tremendously great speakers, especially for rock and jazz - not as good for strings (orchestral) - this could be related to improper placement and setup;
  2. Wilson Yvettes: Great speakers, greater frequency range but less analytical than my WPs. Seem too expensive for what they provide, even at a demo price;
  3. Wilson Audio MAXX3: Spectacular speakers, too much for my room;
  4. Wilson Sasha 1: Actually sound somewhat better for violin, viola, and cello than my WP7's, even if they still contain the $7 tweeter!
  5. Wilson Sabrina: Lack proper reproduction of cello in the low midrange - good speakers, but not for me;
  6. Wilson Audio Alexia 1: Great, but I do not believe in this theory of time domain compensation or whatever it is called. Not as good in my room as either the MAXX3's, Sasha 1's or WP7's;
  7. Wilson Audio Alexia 2: Fantastic. Not as good in my room as either the Sasha 1's or the Yvette's.
Sorry for TMI about Wilson loudspeakers. I still do not what to do, but am waiting on $$$ from the sale of my biotech company to act (have to wait until February). If you know anything about the biotech industry, you will probably know what company I am talking about (sold to Myriad Genetics in 2016).

Thank-you for all of your help - Gerry
Folks-

I understand. I have a friend here in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) at the University of Michigan who has been an audio engineer for 30 years and runs the audio engineering lab here at the University of Michigan. He used to work for Conrad Johnson.

He took my McIntosh 275 VI into his lab and performed a series of SPL versus impedance measurements on the WP7, Vandersteen Seven Mk II (his speakers), Sabrina, Yvette, Alexia Series 2 and Sasha Series 1. He was surprised by the results.

I would be glad to post the data somewhere, although he may include some of the data in a manuscript he is writing. I don't know how to post the pages of curves he generated here, but it would make for a good discussion because you folks and he know more than I do, even if I am a pretty good scientist (see the "Amyloid Cascade Hypothesis", Science 1992, it just won a big award, you may even see me on network TV soon) - showing off here.

Thanks - Gerry
My thanks for all the great responses and conversations. Although I am a scientist, I decided to change more than one variable at this time, but not yet the WattPuppy 7 speakers.

I have been talking to Rob at the Music Room in Boulder, and will be auditioning the newer PS Audio DirectStream DAC and transport with Bridge II (heavily discounted), and will be swapping out the McIntosh 275 VI amplifier for a Hegel H30 Reference power amplifier (used in stereo mode, not as monoblocks). 

I thought I would give the speakers once last chance with a more powerful amplifier. Let me know what you think of this configuration.

Once again, thank-you for all of the very helpful input - Gerry 
Folks-

Let's not attack others in this thread (ha!). 

I have some thoughts about my system, although, for some odd reason (probably related to sales margins), it is difficult if not impossible, to trade-in McIntosh equipment for other used high-end audio hardware.

In any event, my attempt is to configure a system that consists of PS Audio DAC and transport (Bridge II, etc), a tube preamplifier, and hybrid or completely solid state power amplifier.

I am a Wilson fan, so first I am going to rertain my WattPuppy 7's, but then move to a Wilson Yvette.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks - Gerry