Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ -OR- Moon 110lp v2 -OR- Parasound ZPhono XRM Phono

I have a Rega P3, which one would be my best bet? Does anyone know the differences and weather the Musical Surroundings is nearly twice as good as the Parasound, as the price suggest?

What I am lacking from my setup is detail. The more complex the music is, the blurrier it gets

grislybutter

Showing 2 responses by boothroyd

I wouldn’t worry about your Rega alignment - Roy Gandy doesn’t believe in such nonsense 😉 as long as the 3 cartridge mount screws are in place & your Elys 2 is tracking @ 1.75 grams. The anti-skating slider behind the tonearm rest can be set slightly under 1.75 for optimal results if the turntable is level.

I would though, try listening for minute differences in tracking force +/- .02 grams to see if it has a preference over the recommended 1.75 grams. Tracking force is like a one-knob tone control where you tweak for optimal tonal balance. Too high VTF equates to bass heavy & vice versa.

With the Musical Surroundings phono, the pair of 4 dip switches are only for gain or volume. The pair of 8 dip switches are for loading.

Since the Elys 2 has a lot of output, 40 dB (all 4 off) will most likely be your best setting. The next level to add volume is 44dB (only 4 of 4 on).

From memory, only position 1 of 8 (capacitance of 200/300 or 100/200 pF) and 8 of 8 (resistance of 47/100 kOhms) is relevant to your Elys 2.

More capacitance and less resistance will soften the tone & vice versa. FWIW, realize that 47kOhms is the Elys 2 standard for positions 8. Positions 2 ~7 off.

That’s all you’ve got. Hope this helps!

@grislybutter 

Glad it’s all coming together for you 👍

Yes indeed, it is most enjoyable fun 🎶