Musical subwoofer under $2000

I’m looking for advice on what vendors to look at as l’d really like to add a subwoofer to my 2 channel setup. The room is c. 30x15 feet or 42 square meters with low ceiling of about 7.5 feet or 2.2 meters. Budget is c.$2,000 and my 2 channel speakers are Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII. My amp offers pre-out connection. I’d like REL but their S range is now too expensive, so something close in musicality would be great. 

sparksgja

Showing 1 response by bondmanp

Strong recommendation for a pair of used Vandersteen 2Wq subs.  I bought one, then a second, and eventually bought the M5HP battery biased crossovers.  They are, to me, ideal.  Deep, tuneful bass when it's present in the source material, and not heard when it's not.  The only caveat is that your mains must go down to about 40Hz in order to blend properly with the 2Wq.  They are designed to sit in the corner, where most people put them anyway.  I mass load mine with floor tiles and ammo.  When bass heavy stuff is played, I can feel the bass, with the room energized.  But there is never any boominess or bloat, or obscuring of the frequencies above the Vandy subs.  I like them so much that when I last shopped for speakers, being a good match for the 2Wqs was a major requirement.